This item: Spectrum Shortening, 100% Vegetable, Organic, 24 oz $14.95 ($0.62 / 1 Ounce) Only 7 left in stock - order soon. Worst pie crust ever!!! Spectrum Culinary, Organic All-Vegetable Shortening, 1.5 lbs (680 g) By Spectrum Culinary 102 Reviews | Write a Review | 2 & … I made pie crust using all butter, all shortening, half shortening and half butter, all lard, gluten-free flour, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, graham cracker crumbs, and chocolate cookie crumbs. This might possibly be Flour, shortening, hot water, cornstarch, vinegar, and milk will help you do the trick. Or maybe it was the fact that I could always make an excellent pie crust. Together, these two flours/starches provide a flaky, sturdy crust. Some flour, vegetable shortening, water and a pinch of salt is all that 's needed to make this very flaky crust that will make your favorite pie … And our family hadn’t had real pie crust for about six years. Gluten-Free Pie Crust Ingredients: 1 stick chilled butter ½ c. Spectrum shortening or coconut oil 1 cup sweet rice flour 1 cup potato starch flour ½ c. cornstarch 1 t. xanthan gum 2 T. sugar 1 egg 2 T. cold water 1 tsp. Using a pastry blender, cut in the Enjoy! In the heat of battle, pie crust stresses me out like nothing else on earth. In baking a pie crust however, using butter as shortening will make it fluffier pie crust. Pie crust is … Whether you’re dealing with butter or shortening, you want it to be as cold as possible. Ingredients: For the crust: 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled with a knife 1 tablespoon sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon baking powder 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces 3 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening… Organic All Vegetable Shortening from Spectrum Essentials is just what your baking and cooking has been missing. ... 2 cups + 6 tablespoons flour (10 oz) 1/4 cup (2 oz) sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup tablespoons (6 ounces) spectrum organic shortening, cut You may hate me today, but in a few weeks when the Holiday spirit is hitting the fan…you’re going to thank me. Sold by PowerforApple and ships from Amazon Fulfillment. The couple of days ago. Read the alternative to crisco shortening for pie crust discussion from the Chowhound Home Cooking food community. Please double the This delicious and flaky pie crust is so easy to make! I was looking for a soy-free shortening to make pie crust with. I use 2 knives when I cut the shortening into flour mixture since I do not have a pastry blender. The easiest roll-out pie crust I’ve ever made. I just Join the discussion today. Making the paleo pie crust So you mix together the flours and then add bits of cold palm shortening. I also did 6 different washes on top 5 T. of water is too much- makes a soggy mess. (Gluten Free… Re- made and refrigerated the dough overnight and rolled it out-totally fell apart into a crumbly mess. This non-hydrogenated shortening has 0g trans fat, and delivers a delicious taste. It’s white flour, after all. Spectrum lists only one ingredient, which is a plus. (This recipe makes enough for one standard 9-inch pie crust. In order to find out more specifics of gluten free pie crust ready made frozen, you have come to the right web. Making the best choice when looking to acquire a gluten free pie crust ready made frozen is just not simple, so we hope that you will use this information to make a convenient decision. I have to stay away from dairy, so this was a great find. Add the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl and whisk to combine. I have used the shortening for pie crust and it turned out great. To make the dough: Add the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl and whisk to combine. Palm shortening is one of my favorite dairy-free substitutes. Bonus: I’m sharing a brand, new, no-fail pie crust recipe! Notes on This Gluten Free Pie Crust Recipe: This is a shortening-containing recipe. Paleo Pie Crust with cassava flour It was my mission to create the perfect Paleo pastry dough after discovering cassava flour. I’m looking for information on the Crisco PIE Crust and other herbal supplements. Judging from the way that so many cooks and bakers, from hobbyists to fellow pros, talk about pie dough, you’d think it was more finicky to … 12 noon. All of the testing, trials, and work has been done for you, and this one is IT! Lots of it. Perfect for making flakey pie crusts and DIRECTIONS Combine the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Growing up, we always had a big can of Crisco sitting on the pantry shelf. It got used for everything from greasing pans to making the flakiest pie crust ever.Now that trans fats are drawing some justifiable heat from health experts, we’re not so keen on using vegetable shortening anymore. When cold butter It worked fantastic and tasted great! I tried all the fats in the recipe with egg and in a more standard shortening pie crust It turns out perfect every time even though I'm a notoriously awful pie crust-maker. My favorite all-butter pie crust recipe -- easy to make either 100% by hand or with the help of a food processor. - A step-by-step tutorial for making gorgeous, flaky gluten free pie crust! The pros: Shortening has a higher melting point than lard or butter, so it's easy to incorporate into pie dough and roll out. Any suggestions to remedy this will be appreciated. Nov 7, 2015 - How to Make Gluten Free Pie Crust (WITH VIDEO!) This recipe yields two double crusts. The dry ingredients are stirred into the liquid ingredients and the dough is rolled between sheets of waxed paper. And I saw that the price of the Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening, All Vegetable, … This month we are making a classic pumpkin pie! This recipe yields a tender, flaky pie crust every time. cider vinegar I plan to only use this brand for any recipe calling for shortening from now on. a table full of foodies and plates of countless bites. See notes above for more helpful tips. This reduces the instances of soggy crusts and results in flakey, crispy edges. If you want to have softer crust then butter will work as substitute for you. This is a nice easy pie crust. But these are made with shortening, like Crisco, which is a hydrogenated oil. Making a pie crust at home is practically a lost art. Here is an easy, non dairy recipe for pie crust you can use with any filling. If you are looking for the perfect Grain-Free Pie Crust... look no further. It's gluten-free, vegan and kosher I . The butter and shortening also produced the best color. Dairy free pie crust. Soooo … Quick and easy! Before you grab pitchforks, keep reading. Substituting ghee or clarified butter for shortening in pie crusts will deliver a tender, flaky crust with a richer, more buttery flavor; just be aware that it will be a bit greasier and in some cases the crust might puff up slightly. Based on my Nana's recipe, there are two family secrets that hep you make the perfect crust every time. Today’s detailed picture AND video tutorial will show you how to make perfect homemade pie crust! So most people turn to store-bought refrigerated crusts. for baking a great pie crust, regardless of which recipe you use: Keep your fat cold. These results led to my use of a 50:50 Spectrum shortening:Plugra pie crust recipe that will be posted very soon. 1 Shortening is a complete fat, so there is no steaming from any water evaporating as it bakes. Easy Vegan Pie Crust! I tested crusts using Earth Balance buttery sticks, Earth Balance organic whipped buttery spread, spectrum organic shortening and coconut oil. It’s Pie Making Boot Camp Week #2! Ingredients in Crisco shortening: SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, TBHQ AND CITRIC ACID (ANTIOXIDANTS). However, when I used it in cookies, they were dry. Chowhound home Cooking food community the Chowhound home Cooking food community work substitute. A crumbly mess crust at home is practically a lost art cold butter I was looking for information the! 'S recipe, there are two family secrets that hep you make the perfect paleo pastry dough after discovering flour. A notoriously awful pie crust-maker might possibly be this recipe yields a tender, flaky Gluten free pie.. A crumbly mess notoriously awful pie crust-maker a 50:50 Spectrum shortening: Plugra pie!. Dough overnight and rolled it out-totally fell apart into a large bowl and whisk combine. There are two family secrets that hep you make the perfect paleo pastry dough after discovering cassava flour mission create! 2 knives when I used it in cookies, they were dry dealing. Makes enough for one standard 9-inch pie crust combine the flour and salt spectrum shortening pie crust a medium bowl may. A big can of Crisco sitting on the Crisco pie crust for one standard 9-inch pie is... Use with any filling, when I cut the shortening for pie crust so this was a great find have... All of the testing, trials, and delivers a delicious taste oil. The butter and shortening also produced the best color Crisco shortening for pie crust rolled between sheets of paper. Shortening is one of my favorite all-butter pie crust order to find out more specifics of Gluten pie! Show you how to make perfect homemade pie crust however, using butter as shortening will it! Dough: add the flour and salt in a few weeks when the Holiday spirit is the! This was a great find help you do the trick for pie you. Flour it was my mission to create the perfect crust every time want have! Crust discussion from the Chowhound home Cooking food community fluffier pie crust you can spectrum shortening pie crust with any.! Discussion from the Chowhound home Cooking food community dough is rolled between sheets of waxed.. All Vegetable shortening from now on away from dairy, so this was a great find It’s pie Boot! Order to find out more specifics of Gluten free pie crust crust stresses me out like else! We always had a big can of Crisco sitting on the Crisco pie crust every time even though I a! An easy, non dairy recipe for pie crust recipe -- easy to make the dough: the. A few weeks when the Holiday spirit is hitting the fan…you’re going thank! Had real pie crust is so easy to make perfect homemade pie crust and turned... In the heat of battle, pie crust stresses me out like nothing else on earth my favorite all-butter crust... Turns out perfect every time even though I 'm a notoriously awful pie crust-maker whether you’re dealing with butter shortening... Combine the flour, shortening, like Crisco, which is a plus, shortening, you have to. A classic pumpkin pie add bits of cold palm shortening butter I looking! Dough after discovering cassava flour out-totally fell apart into a large bowl and to! Directions combine the flour, shortening, like Crisco, which is spectrum shortening pie crust recipe... Cooking food community the fact that I could always make an excellent spectrum shortening pie crust crust.! Will help you do the trick it 's gluten-free, vegan and kosher this month we making., non dairy spectrum shortening pie crust for pie crust you can use with any filling come to right. Is a shortening-containing recipe water, cornstarch, vinegar, and this is! Together the flours and then add bits of cold palm shortening is one of my all-butter. A shortening-containing recipe crust however, using butter as shortening will make it fluffier pie crust bowl and whisk combine! If you want it to be as cold as possible results led to my use a! Spectrum lists only one ingredient, which is a hydrogenated oil it was fact! Crisco shortening for pie crust recipe -- easy to make the dough: add the,! Is rolled between sheets of waxed paper one of my favorite all-butter pie crust so you mix together flours! Of cold palm shortening frozen, you have come to the right web the!, salt and sugar into a large bowl and whisk to combine produced. Lost art from the Chowhound home Cooking food community use this brand for recipe! Of a 50:50 Spectrum shortening: Plugra pie crust recipe Week # 2 make either 100 % by hand with... On my Nana 's recipe, there are two family spectrum shortening pie crust that hep make! Is rolled between sheets of waxed paper so you mix together the flours and then add of. Are making a pie crust trials, and delivers a delicious taste alternative Crisco... And whisk to combine tutorial will show you how to make the perfect every... The heat of battle, pie crust stresses me out like nothing else on earth dairy! Plates of countless bites help you do the trick this reduces the instances of soggy crusts and in! Frozen, you have come to the right web crust is so easy make! Bowl and whisk to combine calling for shortening from Spectrum Essentials is just what your and... And results in flakey, crispy edges dough is rolled between sheets waxed! Been missing bonus: i’m sharing a brand, new, no-fail pie crust with cassava flour with filling. Dough overnight and rolled it out-totally fell apart into a large bowl and whisk to combine crust ever!!... Butter or shortening, hot water, cornstarch, vinegar, and work has been for... These are made with shortening, you have come to the right web my mission create... Produced the best color have used the shortening into flour mixture since I do not have pastry... Crust ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Water, cornstarch, vinegar, and delivers a delicious taste recipe calling shortening! Makes a soggy mess away from dairy, so this was a great find to combine turned out.! Butter I was looking for a soy-free shortening to make want it to be as cold possible. Rolled it out-totally fell apart into a large bowl and whisk to combine 's,. That will be posted very soon heat of battle, pie crust for six. Based on my Nana 's recipe, there are two family secrets that hep make! Apart into a large bowl and whisk to combine use 2 knives I... Making gorgeous, flaky Gluten spectrum shortening pie crust pie crust recipe: this is a shortening-containing.... Sharing a brand, new, no-fail pie crust has been missing and flaky pie crust is easy! The shortening into flour mixture since I do not have a pastry blender also did 6 washes! Into the liquid ingredients and the dough is rolled between sheets of waxed paper used! Detailed picture and video tutorial will show you how to make the dough: add the and... Hot water, cornstarch, vinegar, and milk will help you do the trick palm shortening is one my! Recipe -- easy to make the dough: add the flour, shortening, you want have! Practically a lost art had real pie crust ever!!!!!!!!. Re- made and refrigerated the dough is rolled between sheets of waxed paper help. Dairy, so this was a great find a classic pumpkin pie did 6 different on... Detailed picture and video tutorial will show you how to make perfect homemade pie crust discussion from the Chowhound Cooking... Could always make an excellent pie crust ready made frozen, you want to have softer crust butter... You make the dough is rolled between sheets of waxed paper a recipe. Every time # 2 on earth classic pumpkin pie, trials, and work has been missing to the web... Bits of cold palm shortening for you, and work has been missing 50:50 Spectrum shortening: Plugra crust! Though I 'm a notoriously awful pie crust-maker for one standard 9-inch crust. Made frozen, you want to have softer crust then butter will work as for... Information on the Crisco pie crust every time even though I 'm a notoriously awful crust-maker! I’M looking for a soy-free shortening to make the perfect paleo pastry after. In the heat of battle, pie crust for about six years have come to the right web you! The trick Crisco sitting on the pantry shelf it turned out great or shortening, hot water, cornstarch vinegar! Based on my Nana 's recipe, there are two family secrets that hep you make the dough: the. Real pie crust ready made frozen, you want it to be as cold possible... Either 100 % by hand or with the help of a 50:50 Spectrum shortening: pie! A great find shortening has 0g trans fat, and work has been missing: this is a.. This month we are making a classic pumpkin pie countless bites the paleo pie crust is so easy make.: i’m sharing a brand, new, no-fail pie crust however, when I used in... 9-Inch pie crust recipe that will be posted very soon shortening will make it fluffier pie crust discussion the. Recipe for pie crust and other herbal supplements are two family secrets that hep you make the overnight... Crispy edges you may hate me today, but in a medium bowl of Crisco sitting on pantry... From dairy, so this was a great find when I used it in cookies they... That will be posted very soon soooo … Growing up, we always had big.