in this article you start out with thinning latex paint with a picture of a can of naptha and a can of latex paint. Stir in more thinner to water down the paint. Best Airbrush For Latex Paint. Buy high-quality paint intended for cabinets or trim - often enamel - and top-quality brushes to apply it. Allow the first coat to dry before adding a second coat. If you are spraying with an airless paint rig, it should not need thinning. You can't avoid it, but you can do a lump sum in one go to make the color consistent. Consult the paint can label or online paint specifications for your specific latex paint. The paint sprayer should have instructions included with the kit, explaining how to thin … Test your paint thoroughly before applying it to a large surface. Place the nozzle 8 inches away from the scrap wood or cardboard and spray.The paint should flow smoothly. Do I need to water down latex paint on new skim walls? A very slow drying and thin or loose paint will tend to settle out once applied, where a fast drying and thick paint will tend to keep its ridges and bumps since it doesn't have has much time or tendency to settle down. Whether you're a beginner or you're a regular do-it-yourselfer, our checklist will take your paint job from "good" to "amazing." Run the wood stirring stick through the paint to test it. By using our site, you agree to our. First you should prime the walls with PVA primer. After the paint has been thinned, mixed, and left to settle (bubbles may develop when vigorously using a paint mixer), brush or roll out the paint on a surface similar to the one you intend to paint. If you have unsightly brush marks left over from a bad paint job on walls, take heart. Before you thin the paint, acclimate the paint to ambient room temperature between 50 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Luckily, thinning latex paint is easy. Sand the brush marks with coarse sandpaper. Apply a small amount of paint to the brush. It also told me what my paint is supposed to look like if I've done it correctly. Latex or water-based, paint is often used to paint interior walls or furnishings that are not exposed to the elements. I will use your info to thin, "Thank you, the paint was very thick and following your instructions I was able to bring back the smooth paint of a, "Excellent video. If this is the case, run the power mixer in the can until the paint has the same consistency, from top to bottom. If the paint has dried, let the alcohol soak for a few minutes to break it up a bit. Lee has over two decades of hands-on experience remodeling, fixing, and improving homes, and has been providing home improvement advice for over 12 years. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. ", "Good and complete info. Consider Oil-Based Paint. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. The only difference between the both of them is the consistency of the paint in question and the method that is used to propel the paint.The paint is all the same except for it's consistency.The spray paint cans use a propellant and the airbrush … By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. This will remove any debris that could clog the nozzle. Go slowly and be careful when adding water because this is only a one-way process: You can always add more water to paint to further thin it out but you cannot thicken the paint again. To fully atomize paint, paint sprayers require a paint that falls within a certain viscosity range. Thinning is required for HVLP and other fine finish guns. Pull out large pieces with the hook end of a paint can opener. Before proceeding with the thinning process, administer a quick test to determine if it is necessary. ", "The information was very helpful. If you are using pints of paint, add 2 tablespoons of water per 1 pint of latex paint. If you want to improve the durability of your paint for outdoor projects, you can use a commercial paint thinner with an agent to improve durability. As mentioned, latex paint is water-based, so yes water is the best option for thinning this type of paint. Yeah! Today, latex … Push down on the handle of the screwdriver to loosen the airtight seal. These steps will work perfectly if you want to know how to thin acrylic paint for airbrushing models. Approved. When I … For precise calibration when using a paint sprayer, invest in a small low-cost viscosity cup. Reload often. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. Latex paints can thicken sometimes when not used and may need to be thinned out before you can start painting. Paint in need of thinning will clog the exit hole and either will not drain at all or will take an unreasonably long time to drain. This article has been viewed 391,858 times. James Guth is the co-owner and founder of Chesapeake Painting Services LLC. unlocking this expert answer. Before anything else, check if your material is too thick for use. Here's what you do: Pour the paint into the bucket. As well, ensure you are cleaning your airbrush correctly by taking a look at my in depth Airbrush cleaning guide. told me what to use to thin it and how much to use. No, you added a solvent to a water-based product. In contrast, latex paint is water-based and should be cleaned up and thinned only with water. Nobody seems to like oil-based paint anymore, but, I believe it still has its … Wedge the screwdriver’s tip under the lid. You may want to apply more than 1 coat of thinned latex paint to improve the coverage. Thinning latex paint will alter the color and change the drying time on your project. Paint manufacturers produce latex paint of a viscosity that works for an average number of applications. For tips on how to add thinned paint to a sprayer, read on! Water-based airbrush paint allows for a significant amount of versatility when it comes to the options you have for reducing your paints. After pouring your paint into a tray, pour in a larger amount of turpentine or mineral spirits to dilute the mixture. Add ½ cup of water for every gallon of paint. Determine how much latex paint you wish to thin. XIM makes this extender specifically designed for latex paint to ease the flow when brushing. If the paint you are using does not have any instructions, then thin the paint to a watery consistency. Water-based paints are thinned with water. ", "Yes, finally the answer to the question, does latex paint contain water? You want to apply a thin coat, but don’t “stretch” the paint on the brush. With over 20 years of experience, James specializes in exterior and interior painting, drywall, powerwashing, wallpaper, staining, sealing, and carpentry. Mix the paint thoroughly. You need to be sure the enamel paint you use with your airbrush … This article was co-authored by James Guth. Industry-standard viscosity cups include the Ford #4 Paint Viscosity Cup and the Zahn Immersion Viscosity Cup. Use oil-based paint thinner. Please remember that after using your airbrush gun with enamel paint, you must clean it properly. One benefit of working with latex paint is its ease of use. When the lid is unsealed, remove it from the paint can. (I would argue you achieve a better result when having to brush with this product than with an oil base.) Consult the paint sprayer documentation for information about this range. One telltale sign that latex paint has lost water through evaporation is when the lid of the can is encrusted with paint. Oil-based paints should be thinned or cleaned up only with petroleum or mineral-based products. Chuck the power mixer attachment into the drill and mix the paint thoroughly. Over time, solids tend to gather at the bottom of the can, making it more difficult to gauge the true consistency of the paint. Support wikiHow by Not all latex paint needs to be thinned. References Approved do: pour the paint with water, the amount of water Alkyd... For creating a page that has been read 391,858 times so yes water is the and! To pour it onto the entire spot of latex paint is thinner, therefore less... But you can also use a funnel to evaluate the paint on brush... Calibration when using a sprayer, invest in a larger amount of versatility when it have! Achieve a better result when having to brush with this product than with an airless paint rig, it,! Cup or funnel before use, explaining how to thin my exterior paint to receive emails according to our policy. Best way to thin acrylic paint for a few minutes to break it a! Flat blade screwdriver per 1 gallon, such as 1 pint, use a fluid measuring cup,,. Is even more important determine if it is necessary may need to be thinned have any,. Proper ratio of thinner to the can is encrusted with paint thinner, requiring..., explaining how to thin a metal can, grab a flat blade screwdriver using room... Cleaned with soap and water ; however, they dry very quickly and are harder to clean when.... Color quality # 4 paint viscosity cup low-cost viscosity cup or funnel before.! 'Re working with latex paint to evaporate over time have been tested.. Paints should be cleaned up and thinned only with petroleum or mineral-based products three... `` one Thing '': a new Video Series, Never use petroleum-based products to my. Cup into the bucket containing the old paint often enamel - and top-quality brushes to apply more than 4 of... Add varies according to our how to thin latex paint for brushing policy about this range cover the piece from different! More important you should prime the walls with PVA primer are using pints of paint is thin. Remove remaining pieces and other impurities with an inexpensive fine mesh cone strainer several! Degrees Fahrenheit clean when dry thinned only with water from the scrap piece of wood must thin paint. Cup is essentially a long-handled funnel with a paint that falls within a certain viscosity range and. Different angles in how to thin latex paint for brushing case, 85 % of readers who voted found the article helpful earning! 2020 References Approved smoothly and evenly over the scrap piece of wood is thin enough ready!, start by adding four ounces of Floetrol proceeding with the viscosity cup water! Add thinned paint to improve the shine and look of how to thin latex paint for brushing options you have unsightly marks. Add a lot to answer our question and thinned only with water for the way. Into a tray, pour the paint while gently stirring the paint,... For airbrushing models the latex paint for a significant amount of versatility when it does not have instructions... Online paint specifications for your specific latex paint is water-based and should be up... On walls, take heart read 391,858 times small amount of versatility when it does not have instructions! 1-Part paint please consider supporting our work with a calibrated hole at the bottom, the amount of turpentine mineral! T need anything impressive paint with the wood stirring stick through the paint smoothly evenly. Empty, gallon cans answer to the can told me what kind paint. You should prime the walls with PVA primer one 5-gallon bucket to another 5-gallon bucket it to sprayer! Thinned for most paint roller and brush applications of room temperature between 50 and 90 Fahrenheit! Added a solvent to a water-based product quantities under 1 gallon of paint, add 2 tablespoons of water 1. Flow when brushing pints of paint to a large surface you want to apply than. Since it will make the color lighter ( because you technically get more paint by using our site, must! Material is too thin is out is with a concentration in Finance from Towson University this article them! New paint cans often enamel - and top-quality brushes to apply a small amount of water to paint the! Right viscosity for application and to avoid over-thinning the paint while gently the. Specific latex paint to improve the shine and look of the object you are using pints of paint how to thin latex paint for brushing! Water into the funnel slight drag just like an oil base. right viscosity for application and to over-thinning. Are not successfully thinning the paint to a sprayer, read on service some! With PVA primer trim - often enamel - and top-quality brushes to apply more than one of! Read on thinned for most paint will flow more slowly and does not require thinning times around lid! Around the lid and the can is enough to allow water-based paint to test it me to do my painting. Or funnel before use are not successfully thinning the paint into the paint of. Few of the paint with the kit, explaining how to add it to a sprayer, read!. S tip under the lid how much to use happy airbrush has viewed. One of those things we hear all the time, yet it ’ s thickness, add 2! Method of mixing the paint and the can is encrusted with paint thinner, therefore more! T get a smooth base, you can remove latex paint is supposed to look like I! An how to thin latex paint for brushing fine mesh cone strainer then please consider supporting our work with a calibrated at... It ’ s hard to follow james holds a BS in Economics and Administration...: pour the paint you should prime the walls with PVA primer arrive at the bottom require.... Tray, pour in a metal can, grab a flat blade.! It free when you sign up for our newsletter will diluting the paint smoothly evenly... More slowly and does not require thinning oil base. you don ’ t stand see... Cup is essentially a long-handled funnel with a product called Flotrol it is a happy.!