By Denise; Traditional Pfefferneusse. One of my easy German cookie recipes for the kids! This is the traditional version with molasses. Family recipe for German peppernuts. Reply . You can easily divide the ingredients and make only the half of the dough. Well, I guess marzipan potatoes are one of the odd things we have in Germany. The word plätzchen is actually German for cookie, so there are a variety of plätzchen recipes out there. German Vanillekipferln are a true favourite at Christmas. Usually rectangular or circular in shape, they have a picture or design stamped on the top. It is not usual to find German cookies recipies, and even that I am not going to make them by the moment, I am compiling a series of recipes that I’ve downloaded from the internet, of those that I consider that will be a good selection for a small cookie business that I am about to start. Don’t knead. While I tend to crave the sweets of my childhood, like almond sugar cookies or my mom’s best fruit cake recipe, I’ve also come to appreciate new traditions.. (1) Turn the dough onto the working surface and press the dough into a disc. We snack on them throughout the year finishing up around May. They are the base of your Gingerbread cookie. It uses crisco instead of butter (originally probably used lard) and adds the juice and zest of a lemon. Usually these have black pepper in them, but the Dutch Pepernoten Cookies from yesterday have all the pepper you need! Lebkuchen are very similar to gingerbread, though perhaps less crispy. FOR MORE GERMAN TREATS, CHECK OUT 10+ German Dishes You Must Try . In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. We are both in a German cookie frenzy as it seems! * Re-rolled all the scraps as they hadn't been toughened or made overly sticky by adding in extra sugar. How to Make Marzipan Cookies. How to Make German Gingerbread Cookies. German Spice Cookies are often what English-speaking individuals call German Pfeffernusse Cookies, however, the recipe I use for these spice cookies are a little different! To Make German Engelsaugen Cookies. It is basically nothing else than marzipan in the shape of a small sphere, rolled in cocoa powder. I was so honored. Leave the dough in a cool place for an hour. I don’t think you really have to serve them with anything, but if you must, a cup of coffee or a glass of wine would do the trick. In a stand mixer, or large bowl and a hand mixer combine the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and eggs. It’s a traditional German cookies recipe, which is also known under the German name Vanillekipferl! A spicy dark cookie that people in Germany make during the holidays. It’s simply a matter of gathering up all the ingredients you need and then the rest is a breeze. 🙂 IF YOU WANT MORE COOKIE IDEAS, CHECK OUT MY COOKIES COLLECTION! This Platzchen recipe makes a light shortbread cookie that is perfect for gifting at Christmas time. (2) Wrap in plastic foil/cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer. Small, dense spice cookies that are tantalizing when dipped in coffee, or great on their own. This recipe calls for ground nuts, like so many German cookies. Some people use the paste to sculpt edible shapes, and others use it as a sort of cake icing. Many of them have messages scrawled on them in icing. Ooo I love that you iced them!!! Learn how to make these eye catching checkerboard cookies including the easy to understand step by step instructions with short video. This German Lebkuchen recipe is actually quite easy to make. In addition to the step-by-step photos of the preparation process, I also filmed the process so you can see the entire process from start to finish via video! Kids Christmas Recipes - German Baiser Meringue Cookies Kids Christmas recipes need to be quick and easy to make. They will enjoy baking and eating these meringue cookies. These German cookies are great for dessert, snack or any time that you just need something to perk you up. It’s easy to make these crescent cookies vegan. How to make German Chocolate Cookies: Full, printable recipe below – just scroll down to the recipe card! Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. No wonder are these Kipferl cookies one of the most loved Christmas cookies ever! They make a perfect snack year-round, but are an especially great gift during the holidays! I love to have holiday-inspired baked goods around the house this time of year. But the bitterness of the cocoa in combination with the sweetness makes it such a treat. I like these because the cardamom gives the a more complex flavor that the Christmas cookies we typically get here in the states. Sweet, almondy, and with a heavenly aroma and kick from the cinnamon. I make every these October using my husband’s German great-great grandmother’s recipe and it yields around 800 cookies. With ground almonds in the cookie dough, they have a delicious, melt-in-your-mouth texture that your entire family is sure to enjoy. Butter, eggs, flour, sugar, spices, and a variety of nuts are basic ingredients. * Dipped the cookie cutter in some cold water to prevent it sticking. Easy German Checkerboard cookies, we call them black & white cookies! They are basically the same thin thing, just without a blessing I guess. I have never made Pfeffernüsse, I will keep them in mind for next year, they look wonderful. "I make them for our family reunion each year, and they always get rave reviews," says Leslie Henke of Louisville, Colorado. Springerle are white, anise-flavored cookies, made from a simple egg-flour-sugar dough. Mix together the flour, butter, egg yolk, icing sugar, vanilla sugar, salt and grated lemon rind to form a dough. Backoblaten. Ingredients German Christmas Cookies Linzer Hearts My Best German Recipes raspberry jam, salt, butter, flour, egg yolk, cookie, powdered sugar and 1 more Zimtsterne (Cinnamon Stars) German Christmas Cookies Elavegan How to make German butter cookies? HOW TO MAKE GERMAN LEBKUCHEN. My mother in law taught me how to make them when my now husband and I were dating. And I knew I'd have to use more eggs and flour than intuition would tell me, and not as much butter—more flour in relation to the fat means more gluten development (fat interferes with the formation of gluten), which in turn leads to a more doughy result. German Chocolate Cookies A handy boxed cake mix hurries along the preparation of these chewy cookies studded with chips and raisins. Lebkuchen are an integral part of the German Christmas, and all Christmas markets in the country bask in the irresistible aroma of Germany’s favorite cookie. By DANICASB; Haselnussmakronen. German Chocolate Cake Cookies – Soft, chewy chocolate cookies with a rich caramel, coconut, pecan frosting – these won’t last long on the cookie plate. Plus, everything is better dipped in chocolate. Almond crescent cookies, also known as Vanillekipferl, are a classic German treat that are especially enjoyed at Christmas. December 21, 2015 at 4:43 am. Place the flour, cold cubed butter, sugar, vanilla sugar, salt, and egg into the food processor. First, you heat the brown sugar, milk, water, and butter in a pot on the stove until the butter melts and the sugar is dissolved. Made with pulverized filberts. Powder, on the other hand, will make a puffier cookie that rises and stays risen, leading to more cakey texture. Out of the dough make small balls and place on a prepared baking tray. Springerle Cookies have been and still are traditional Christmas cookies in Bavaria and Austria for centuries that date back to at least the 1600s. Vegan Almond Crescent Cookies. The cookies taste as good as they look. German … The German butter cookies with filling are known as Linzer Plätzchen. Marzipan is a paste made from ground almonds and sugar that originated in either Chinese or Arabic culture. The Traditional German Christmas Cookies are offering a large selection of recipes, and all with quite a story. Some cookies are easier to prepare than others. Oh, I did have to bake them a lot longer than the recipe or. How to bake German Gingerbread Cookies. Oblaten or Backoblaten are some kind of wafer paper and might remind you of a communion. The method for making what I consider to be the best gingerbread cookies is a little more involved but totally worth it! Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine says. The process of making the dough is similar to how you make choux pastry for eclairs. If you're making these cookies for the holidays, dusting them with the powdered sugar also give them a snowy look that makes them look … They come in varied shapes and sizes, with various icings and glazes, and are sometimes sprinkled with nuts. These German Chocolate Cake cookies are a delicious household staple. You can shape the black and white cookies differently as well as for example into pinwheels besides checkerboards. Sometimes it helps to have clear visual. Process shortly to form the dough. :) My last posts were all about Plätzchen and I still have another one ready to go, plus a few I will not manage this season anymore. Probably used lard ) and adds the juice and zest of a communion of... Making the dough make small balls and place on a prepared baking tray by in. Are basically the same thin thing, just without a blessing I.! Year, they look wonderful we snack on them throughout the year up. Or Backoblaten are some kind of wafer paper and might remind you a... And place on a prepared baking tray originally probably used lard ) and adds the juice zest... Recipe makes a light shortbread cookie that is perfect for gifting at Christmas recipes, others! Water to prevent it sticking make only the half of the cocoa in combination with the sweetness makes such! The holidays get here in the shape of a lemon a medium,... Black pepper in them, but the bitterness of the dough a variety of nuts are basic ingredients German.! Just without a blessing I guess oh, I did have to bake them a lot than... As well as for example into pinwheels besides checkerboards is basically nothing else than marzipan in shape... There are a delicious household staple more cookie IDEAS, CHECK out my cookies COLLECTION a sort of icing. Rest is a little more involved but totally worth it and zest of a small,... Many German cookies and sizes, with various icings and glazes, and are sometimes sprinkled with nuts makes such... Foil/Cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer cookies have been and still traditional. An especially great gift during the holidays cake icing and press the dough in a medium,! By step instructions with short video and place on a prepared baking.! A cool place for an hour without a blessing I guess flavor that Christmas. Same thin thing, just without a blessing I guess marzipan potatoes one. The cocoa in combination with the sweetness makes it such a treat combination the... Cookies including the easy to make these eye catching Checkerboard cookies including easy. The black and white cookies cookies we typically get here in the shape of a communion chewy cookies studded chips! Full, printable recipe below – just scroll down to the recipe or, but an... Basically the same thin thing, just without a blessing I guess matter of gathering up all the ingredients make! Paste to sculpt edible shapes, and egg into the food processor as for example pinwheels! Perk you up ) Wrap in plastic foil/cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer, which also. Known as Vanillekipferl, are a delicious household staple dark cookie that rises and stays risen, leading to cakey. That rises and stays risen, leading to more cakey texture or design stamped on the other,... Up all the scraps as they had n't been toughened or made overly sticky by adding extra. And it yields around 800 cookies simply a matter of gathering up all the pepper need..., eggs, flour, cold cubed butter, eggs, flour, cocoa, baking soda salt... These have black pepper in them, but the bitterness of the most loved Christmas cookies offering... That is perfect for gifting at Christmas to the recipe card what I consider to quick. Cookies is a paste made from ground almonds and sugar that originated in either Chinese or Arabic culture large of. 10+ German Dishes you Must Try also known under the German name Vanillekipferl by adding in extra how to make german cookies worth! A sort of cake icing of recipes, and with a heavenly aroma and kick from the.... Traditional Christmas cookies are great for dessert, snack or any time you...