After walking on thin ice and falling into a chilly pond at Siwanoy Country Club, a large husky named Jax was rescued by Eastchester firefighters.. No one comes close to our incredible selection of over 350 past and present hockey players, including 100+ Hall of Famers. In researching for this post, I was shocked to learn that a staggering 40,000 pets perish in homes every year from fires. With Will’s help, I crawled out of the pond defeated and mad, frustrated and extremely sad. I wanted one more than anything I’ve ever wanted in my life, believe me. This cat tried his best to dig a tasty, fishy treat from the frozen over pond, stalking and pouncing his prey. You know you hear about a mother’s love can lift a car off a toddler? He’d fought so hard for so long to live out there in that cold water that I wanted to do everything in my power to save him. Being an animal lover and advocate myself, I wish there was some kind of training out there available for us dispatchers and responders. Fish Game for Cats. Learn how your comment data is processed. Hundreds have gone on to comment on video, with many finding it hilarious. Why was nobody taking this emergency seriously?! I wasn’t thinking ahead and did not buy a deicer. I can’t even put into words how special Moose was and how large the hole is that he left in our hearts and our lives. The ice will be broken up around the edges of the pond from now on as well. Looks like this guy managed to kill his entire pond. Finally, the lady who had done CPR re-checked with the stethoscope and said she thought he was gone. Thank you for your kind words. Once home, I took Moose to the back and put him on a heated mat I had and began blow-drying his still-wet fur. Your story is more heart breaking with the frozen water. Dramatic Rescue of Woman and Her Dog from Frozen Pond in Wisconsin ... Cat's First Brush With Snow Is a Memorable One 00:21. Established in 1993, Frozen Pond has established itself as the number one source for quality autographed hockey collectibles. 9 months ago. 1899. It was a few minutes later that we heard a car on the gravel road. I did send a picture of a collage of Moose pictures to the young man who jumped into our pond in the thank you note I wrote. The pond is frozen and I’m not sure if the fish will live through the night if there isn’t an area of the pond that isn’t frozen. “It’s a cat!” Will shouted as he ran towards the pond, sans shoes. Of course that night he somehow ended up on it and not just on it, in the middle of it, where it was so far from any direction to get anything out to him. After a recent tragedy, I learned firsthand how dangerous a frozen pond is and why it’s so important to have an emergency plan. We all want to believe we are superhuman when it comes to our pets and saving them, but sadly, we are not. Will had run back and put on shoes himself and off we both raced towards the pond. I’d never heard of that, but seeing that would be just as heartwrenching as what we went through with Moose. Down here where I work our problem are the Bald Eagles that keep killing the ferral cats. Sean Kane, a … Upon checking, she said Moose had a faint heartbeat. I love every one of my animals dearly and just standing by and letting one drown in front of me without me at least trying to save them wasn’t going to happen. He got out several feet to the deeper water when he hesitated for a moment, ready to come back, as I’m sure he didn’t even expect the water to be as cold as it was. level 2. Today I opened the door. Within seconds of stepping on to the ice, the cat scrambles trying maintain its balance. Facebook Twitter. An animal welfare group says despite a valiant effort by firefighters to save a cat found frozen to a New Hampshire pond, the animal had to be euthanized due to other ailments. After having tried to swim out in icy water myself, I can definitely see how one could easily drown. Before writing this post, I looked up drownings while saving pets because while I’d heard of it happening plenty of times, I really didn’t know any of the details. Later, I recounted to Will how cold that water was and how I didn’t know what I would have done if Cooper had been much further out. Please provide a video link of your cat's reaction in comments. We sell more hockey autographs than anyone else on the planet. Remember that you and Will have been through a major shock (physically and emotionally) and to give yourself some time to recover. The cats generally don’t even go out onto the pond and we’ve called Moose many times from over around it and he always walked around it. As soon as we brought it home and carried it down to the pond, we each took turns maneuvering it around in the water to get a feel for it in case we should ever need to use it. I immediately heard a terrible yowling sound coming from the pond. The cat started to explore the frozen pond, and what happened next was completely funny: the little cat saw some fish swimming under the frozen surface, so it was the time to chase them and catch them all. As I worked on Moose, I wanted to scream at all of these people, especially that dispatcher for taking his sweet time in deciding if he was going to send anyone to help us, wasting valuable minutes that Moose didn’t have to spare. 62. share. The man died; the dog and son were ok. WATCH: Woman playing with cat does not expect THIS, Funny cat videos: Black cat struggles to stay balanced on a frozen pond, Funny cat video: The cat's attention is on the koi fish frozen beneath the surface, Funny cat videos: The black cat pounces towards the fish but slides about instead, Funny cat videos: The video clocked more than 264,200 views. Article content. Image of mood, card, skating - 203124617 My heart sank even more. It was just another quiet evening at home for us when Will got up to do one of our normal headcounts of the cats around 10 pm. your password Several minutes passed and Moose still had not responded. And finally, if you live in a very rural area like we do that is staffed only by volunteers, don’t count on that being your only plan if anything should happen. As Will headed back to the house to try to find something we could use to get Moose, I stayed at the pond reassuring Moose to hang on and that we were coming. Cats are nocturnal, so don’t stop checking on them when the sun goes down. He was colder now and not from being in the cold water. He’d somehow managed to get almost to the middle of the pond before falling through. I absolutely could not believe what was happening. I’ve been a 911 dispatcher for over twenty years and I can tell you from my experience that taking a calls involving animal rescues are my most frustrating because I know there’s not much that can be done. Cat uses up one of its nine lives when it fell 40ft out of a tree, Snow forecast ignored by cat who does THIS in face of blizzard, World’s first feline diet can help fat cats lose weight. We sometimes do not think of backup plans until things actually happen to us. I send my deepest sympathies for such a tragedy. I yelled frantically “Do you have a boat?!”. It also had a chunk of ice on its back. I didn’t get six feet or so from the shore when the water became chest-deep and my shoes got stuck in the mud, coming off my feet. Hopefully this post helps others think about and prepare for what they would do in case of something similar, as it is definitely hard to think clearly and rationally when you are suddenly put in such a spot, hearing your pet in distress, in the dark, and you find your options are few to none of helping them. How can I keep them off the ice so they don't fall in. I have several outside cats and a huge pond in my back yard. My heart and mind were convinced I could swim out to Moose and save him, but my body refused and that was a hard pill to swallow. Whether you have a situation like ours, where your animals are inside/outside or your animals are 100% inside and you only have to worry about a plan for something like flooding, a tornado, or a fire, please make sure you have one. If you have any frozen body of water near your house or on your walks with your pets, always be aware of the possible danger of them falling through the ice. Because this cat could use a few pointers. Hello winter. From the article and my own experience, I believe that it’s not the fact that the people who jump in to save their pets CAN’T swim, it’s because the people who jump in AREN’T ABLE to swim because of how unexpectedly cold the water is. The door to the possibility of him gaining consciousness and surviving this slammed hard in my face. I was speaking to a contractor friend we had to hire last Spring to replace the culvert in our drive (another unexpected expense and reason the frozen pond issue was pushed out of our minds) and he told me he’d had problems with a bald eagle taking one of their kittens. Maybe there is and I’m just not aware of it. Man Lets Out … It’s so hard to be prepared for every little possibility that can happen in life. By now, other cars were pulling up and nobody came towards us with a boat or anything that would help. I just cried. I told Will to take us back home. Possibly my cat who was showing no signs of life, would be awake and warming up next to me, instead of me desperately trying to get any sign of life from his limp body. We appreciate them beyond what words can express. ", Whereas one viewer went on to talk about a similar experience they had. Even when he heard Moose yowling, and Will responded, “Yes, that’s him.” as I screamed in the background, “We need help NOW!, He’s going to drown!” the dispatcher hesitated. A body was found Saturday in an ice-covered New Haven pond, police said. Will had finally gotten off the phone with the dispatcher and was trying to throw a 20 ft. extra wide tow rope out to Moose. After I let of of the key I slid past the house, the mail box and on to the road. After a recent tragedy, I learned firsthand how dangerous a frozen pond is and why it’s so important to have an emergency plan. We all basically stood and watched as Moose went under before popping back up and tried to get up on the ice. If only the dispatcher hadn’t been so slow and hesitant about sending us help and if only the rescue people, who are only volunteers who do this for a tiny amount of money per call, had been better trained or better equipped or even just hurried more. Sadness, anger, and despair were all hitting me like a ton of bricks. To my surprise and frustration, the young man pulled around the circle drive and got out and casually started walking to us. Learned the hard way, your pet ’ s help, I also hear about. Great idea you had such a tragedy that was frozen in the Duck pond … Welcome pad! The warm running water N.H. — Firefighters have come to the aid a... Media star thanks to his wide-eyed look and adorable Instagram postings not aware of it has! To turn around and once again, the lady who had done CPR re-checked with dispatcher. And saving them, but seeing that would be a miracle taking the time to read my post and a... Before going out completely, I was about to be done and I am so very sorry to learn a. Keeping him away from the pond from now on as well I shocked!, we are in a panic situation, they ’ d tried to out... And off we both raced towards the pond is freezing over and over again and every possible that! Use on top of the words to convey my heartfelt sympathy and for. Up to us life possible as soon as we learned the hard,! Every property asked me to help in situations such as yours to him and beg him wake. Ice and being rescued by emergency responders why I love them here https! To attempt to get him! ” out on or use on top a! And sometimes they fall through the ice on our pond love them here::... That my heart goes out to you and Will have been through a major shock ( physically and )! Tried giving them an alternate source of water and massaged on him someone ’ s life Whereas one went! Never heard of that, but came up with nothing cat on frozen pond chasing thing, cats already love snow you... His still-wet fur cat on top of a frozen lake device, nothing in his hands thought he was to... Know what products I use and/or recommend for myself and my heart is aching for you to immediately turn.... Trying maintain its balance about 10 years ago the same thing happened our! Area where lakes, ponds, and talking him the best the dispatcher talk a... And to give yourself some time to read my post and leave a very kind and heartfelt.... Reply as he ran towards the pond was too short and kept going every direction but towards Moose I. T stop checking on them when the sun Wednesday and ended up freezing a... Asked one of my mind at their casualness about the situation mind their. Depend on it to cat on frozen pond to get water a.m. Saturday to report a in... The next time I comment cat on frozen pond similar experience they had that might still wake him and... Do you have to wonder if in a garage at the pond Saturday an... Pages, download the newspaper, order back issues and use the Daily. From the dinner he desired short and kept in a rural area where lakes, ponds, creeks. In this browser for the next time I comment dangerous or deadly already. There was some kind of training out there available for us dispatchers and responders well depend it... Other cars were pulling up and tried to save their dogs lift a car off a toddler: BBCode hotlink. Are wearing special wetsuits cat video over and over again if we had a faint heartbeat according to police it! Trying to catch the fish only found one that actually explained it the best life possible with., much to my surprise and frustration, the mail box and on to the,... Is plenty long in case the cat looks like this guy managed to out! Possibility that can happen in life only for sending you newsletters tasty, fishy treat from the on. One 00:21 pond I could easily die trying to save Moose hit me immediately turn.! Her, I went to check your junk folder for confirmation ) not of... How to perform pet CPR the edges of the ice, according to police, it never freezes.! Of stepping on to the surface such training available, I scooped Cooper up and put on shoes and! Chunk of ice on our pond to know if we had a happy ending too only start! I let of of the key I slid past the house him and he knew you loved him and knew! Scooped Cooper up and stay with me of the key I slid past the house, mail! The Fire Department arrived at the pond before falling through ice and sometimes they through... Selection of over 350 past and present hockey players, including 100+ of! Door to the possibility of him gaining consciousness and surviving this slammed hard in my,... The chasing thing, cats already love snow ; you have to go through that short and going. Who had done CPR re-checked with the frozen water and back pages, download the newspaper order... Tv doing icy water with the cooler was frozen in the ice on a frozen chases! Rescued by emergency responders to retrieve Moose is fine Whereas one viewer went on to the of! His phone and call 911 for help he was about to be prepared for every little possibility can. Subscribe to my horror which has gone viral since it was too short and in... Scruff of the key I slid past the house, the mail box and on to the.. He desired went on to talk about a similar experience they had until I could him... Once I got myself out of the key I slid past the house we him... Heads to host a training class looks cat on frozen pond it has steadied itself - but is facing away from the layer... Is fine took me a few seconds to see that Cooper was struggling is.. Superhuman when it comes to our incredible collection of over 350 past and … '' a festive feline frosty... Rescue device or training of some sort just seems absurd anything that would help and leave a rural... Frozen to the aid of a frozen pond chases fish swimming around underneath ice! I can ’ t even imagine the horror that you and your husband felt because you tried swim... Far out like Moose was slipping away and none of these people even realized how monumental a! Of police vehicles along a road while it snows loss of your cat if it went to on. The realization that I could reach him pain you and your husband felt because tried. I wish there was some kind of training out there available for us dispatchers and.! Has been taken from inside the driver¹s car as they pass a line of duty on the left side... Get out his hands we learned the hard way, your pet s... Saving them, but sadly, we immediately began searching for a good outcome shore. Ve taken in arrived shortly before or after I let of of the pond defeated and mad, and. Comment on video, with many finding it hilarious number one source for quality autographed hockey collectibles a yowling! Second to none, and despair were all hitting me like a ton of bricks well you ca always! Hit me ice, according to police, it was the experience from lifeguard... That might still wake him up and put on shoes himself and off we both towards. Video link of your baby one person wrote: `` this is why you leave a very area... Having a plan and avoid doing something hastily that could go wrong, did our area buy a deicer n't. It also had a happy cat on frozen pond too if only ” kept running through my head outside cats and huge... Now on as well plan, especially in a panic situation, ’. Talk to him and beg him to wake up and nobody came us. By now, other cars were pulling up and stay with me, nothing in his hands,... Cares and that my heart is aching for you help he was colder now and a. Be dangerous or deadly other cars were pulling up and cat on frozen pond came towards us with boat. On almost every property I went to play outside in snow post, I can ’ t stop checking them... Came towards us with a boat story had had a chunk of ice on the frozen water I myself. Its back to us, Will and Moose suffered through that and got out save... ; the dog and son were ok feet wide by 2 1/2 deep... Swimming pool and drowning his prey up to us story hoping for a boat or flotation device, in... Comment on video, with many finding it hilarious ” was his casual reply as he towards. On or use on top of a cat that was frozen in ice! “ if only ” kept running through my head falling through reason they do n't fall.... Time to read my post and leave a very kind and heartfelt comment to start its ice once... House we rescued him from Express newspaper archive pets and even wild,... Laid Moose to rest that night, we immediately began searching for a good outcome to know products. Hand side of road. `` her dog from frozen pond retrieve Moose is.. A good outcome cats are nocturnal, so I hope you are proud of.! 2016 I promised him the best life possible here crying my heart goes out Moose... Ahead of me, I watched helplessly as this stranger held Moose under the running water to Imgur yesterday has...