Log In. 38.4508°, Longitude. This year for the long Labor Day weekend I wanted to go on another backpacking trip into the Uncompahgre Wilderness of Colorado’s San Juan Mountains, but I also wanted to go somewhere that was unlikely to be crowded since this is probably one of the busiest camping weekends of the year. A. Acascosa Lake in Conejos County, Colorado; Antero Reservoir in Park County, Colorado; Aurora Reservoir in Aurora, Colorado; B. Barbour Ponds in Saint Vrain State Park; Barker Meadow Reservoir in Boulder County, Colorado; Barr Lake in Barr Lake State Park; Bear Creek Lake in Lakewood, Colorado; Bierstadt Lake in Larimer County, Colorado; Bison Reservoir in Victor, Colorado 648 SE Frontage Rd Johnstown, CO 80534. From A-Basin to Wolf Creek, here's a peek at what to expect on the slopes this season. Big Blue Creek is close to Curecanti Creek. Le lac Powell (en anglais : Lake Powell) est un lac artificiel créé sur le fleuve Colorado par le barrage de Glen Canyon achevé en 1963. A parting shot as we left Big Blue Creek behind and started the drive back home. The list of rivers of Texas is a list of all named waterways, including rivers and streams that partially pass through or are entirely located within the U.S. state of Texas.Across the state, there are 3,700 named streams and 15 major rivers accounting for over 191,000 mi (307,000 km) of waterways. Add a Symbol . After hiking a little over 9 miles and climbing over 1,500 feet we found a nice campsite that we would be calling ‘home’ for the next two nights. Lakes in Colorado State Parks. It's part of the area's last private in-holding that was acquired by the Wilderness Land Trust in 2012 and transferred to the National Forest Service. Colorado’s largest body of water is located near Gunnison in the Curecanti National Recreation Area and is so named because of its luminous blue water. Big Blue Creek, Colorado fishing report, rainbow trout fly fishing forecast, fishing season updates, fly shop and fishing guides, and fly-fishing weather. The Blue Lakes are located in a glacial basin in southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness. How do I put it? 868). We were all set to leave after work on Friday and spend the night near the trailhead, but with storms moving through the area overnight we changed those plans last minute. Big Horn Wind Farm Washington: 200 Big Sky Wind Farm ... Blue Creek Wind Farm Ohio: 302 Blue Sky Green Field Wind Farm Wisconsin: 145 Bluestem Wind Farm Oklahoma: 198 Brady Wind Energy Center (I & II) North Dakota: 299 Breunnings Breeze Texas: 228 Broadview Energy Wind New Mexico: 324 Buena Vista (Storm Lake) Iowa: 193 Buckeye Wind Energy Center Kansas: 206 Buffalo Gap Wind Farm Texas: … Sign Up or Log In. Since there doesn’t seem to be much information about this trail available (that I could find), I’m including a map below with the GPS tracks from our hike. Some of these activities include river and lake fishing, 4 x 4 and ATV trails, horseback riding, hiking, biking, rafting, hunting, skiing, and snowmobiling. 14 reviews. Up higher, the road levels out and the land opens until you reach the historic Alpine Guard Station and a trailhead for the Alpine Trail. Threatening skies over Big Blue Creek near the beginning of the trail. An incredible Labor Day sunrise below Uncompahgre Peak. Lake City, CO 81235 The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Location: On Big Creek, a tributary of the South Sulphur River, in Delta County 1 mile north of Cooper Surface area: 520 acres Maximum depth: 31 feet Impounded: 1987. Published in Backpacking, Camping, Exploring, Hiking, Mountaineering and Photographing. Besides the typical yellow, we also found many black and red leaves along the trail. Nice views up here looking towards the Little Cimarron Trail. Uncompahgre Wilderness Area (Formerly the Big Blue) Government information and links are at the bottom of this page. In the heart of Northern Colorado's Rocky Mountains, at an elevation of 9,000 feet, Big Creek Lake covers 343 acres within the Parks Ranger District of Routt National Forest. We stopped at Slide Lake for lunch and to rest our feet, which turned out to be about the halfway point of our hike for the day. Turquoise Lake lies in the shadow of high mountains, including Mount Elbert and Mount Massive, Colorado’s two highest peaks. We ended up making it back to my Jeep in under 4 hours which included another short break at Slide Lake. You will want to set aside at least 3 hours to make the trip and enjoy the sites and activities. Long de près de 300 km, le lac se situe en Arizona et en Utah. As soon as I would wipe off the condensation it would fog up almost instantly again, so most of the photos I did take were ruined. Reaching America's highest-elevation lake is a mission few take on. A 4,928-acre Forest Service recreation area surrounds the lake and includes eight campgrounds with 269 campsites, picnic areas, and two boat launches. The Colorado Centennial Farms program designates farms and ranches that have been owned and operated by the same family for 100 years or more. Right at the edge of Big Creek Lake, this Campground is every fisherman’s dream. Each channels the ease & flow of Alexander Creek as it winds through The Lodge at Blue Sky's property. © 2020 Lake City | Website Design by VistaWorks. All fish that are not kept as part of your bag limit must be returned to the water immediately. As we hiked higher into the valley the trees opened up a little and we started to get better views around us- like this view of Unnamed 13016 (13,016) above the trail. There are three lakes in the basin - the middle and upper have the best views. Share on Trail Run Project. The road then angles back to follow Big Blue Creek, which offers excellent public trout fishing access. I planned to climb Unnamed 13051 while I was up there. Some of these activities include river and lake fishing, 4 x 4 and ATV trails, horseback riding, hiking, biking, rafting, hunting, skiing, and snowmobiling. Length 22.3 miElevation gain 3851 ftRoute type Out & Back Found in Colorado at 13,435 feet above sea-level, according to the United … Headlines. View the Big Blue Creek Campground & Big Blue Drainage Fishing Map. Colorado Fishing Report: States. Instead, we stayed home Friday night and left early on Saturday morning. In 5 miles, pass the Nellie Creek Trailhead sign. Kids under 16 do not need a license and can take full bag and possession limits. The first few miles bring you quickly upward, and each turn and switchback offers another wonderful view in every direction. It’s … Up to this point, pretty much any car will do. And continuously, within this wondrous dreamscape, whispers from the past mingle with voices of the present in the cool, rarefied air of remote Hinsdale County and its historic town of Lake City. Share a Photo . Current fly fishing conditions are not going to be good today. You might even spot a moose on your way to the boat ramp! There is a 12 mile access from Highway 149. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Big Blue Creek in Colorado Brook trout fishing video - YouTube The beautiful Big Blue Campground has 11 sites with picnic tables, fire pits, and tent pads. Blue Creek Lodge is a vacationer’s paradise. It will be an easy hike from the Nellie Creek Trailhead in the future. Diane enjoying the view after the rain had stopped. Big Blue Creek is covered by the Curecanti Needle, CO US Topo Map quadrant Présentation. The junction with the Ridge Stock Driveway trail. It is located in the beautiful San Juan Mountains – where there is an abundance of outdoor activities. Menu & Reservations Make Reservations . There’s a parking lot at the top and when I was there, everyone was enjoying their lunch and taking photos of the water. Log in or Sign up to follow this water. Up to this point, pretty much any car will do. This trail follows the Big Blue Creek, where you can find even more fishing spots. We would encounter a few other sprinkles throughout the day and evening, but nothing that would get us soaked. Front Range region: • Barr Lake • Boyd Lake • St. Vrain. Farmhouse RV Resort @ Royal Gorge. The 41 Colorado State Parks are one of best places to start when looking for boating and other lake activities, check out these locations in the areas you plan to visit: Denver region: • Cherry Creek Reservoir • Staunton Lake. Falcon Meadow RV Campground . Big Blue Creek is a favorite for hikers and fishermen. Sun - Mon - CLOSED. Station Number Station name Date/Time Gage height, feet Dis-charge, ft3/s Long-term mean flow 12/23 Long-term median flow 12/23 Connect with Facebook. Barnum Park Lake Barr Lake Bear Creek Lake Bear Creek Ponds Lake Beckwith Berkeley Lake Big Thompson Ponds Bingham Lake-Pinery Reservoir Birdland Lake (Jack B. Tomlinson Park) Blue Heron Lake Boedecker Reservoir Boulder Reservoir Bowles Grove Pond Boyd Lake Brighton City Park Lake Brush Hollow Reservoir Camenisch Park Pond Carl Park Pond Not only was it still pretty cloudy out, but the humidity from all the rain overnight and the cooler temperatures caused my lens to keep fogging up no matter how many times I wiped it off. Colorado statutory cities operate under Title 31, Article 1, Section 203 and Article 4, Section 100 or Section 200 of the Colorado Revised Statutes.Statutory cities have an elected mayor and a city council composed of the mayor and two members elected from each ward. Sit back and relax in our mountain lodge. 2051 Big Thompson Ave, Estes Park, CO 80517. Adventures. PO Box 430 Discover the endless possibilities of Lorem Ipsum! Reviews (719) 216-8898 Website. The trail runs along the Big Blue Creek and is relatively flat with little elevation gain. Much of the lower trail was through the forest like this. Threatening skies over Big Blue Creek near the beginning of the trail. Offering access to two National Wilderness Areas and a State Wildlife Area, this uncrowded tour is a wonderful day trip or multi-day camping trip. Cebolla Creek / Cathedral Area. After the rainbow had disappeared and the rain had stopped we headed out to hike the Fall Creek Trail to the pass between Silver Mountain and Unnamed 13051. The most popular species caught here is Largemouth bass 8 catches are logged on Fishbrain. The campground is especially popular during hunting season. On Monday morning I woke up about an hour before sunrise and hiked over to an area I had scouted out the previous day to photograph from. Just one last photo of Uncompahgre Peak before sunrise on Labor Day to finish off the trip report. Click on a blue marker to view the listings or select from a category below. Colorado State fishing regulations apply within Curecanti National Recreation Area. If you have the energy I highly recommend continuing for at least another quarter-mile or so, beyond the upper lake, to soak in the grand view of all three lakes. We came across a trio of bow hunters who were out looking for elk. As we hiked higher into the valley they seemed to disappear. Find nearby businesses, restaurants and hotels. Diane decided to wait here while I climbed up to the pass and summit. A view of Uncompahgre Peak from our camp taken a little bit later. After climbing above treeline we came across this little shack below Silver Mountain (13,714). Whether you’re fly fishing, spinning or baitcasting your chances of getting a bite here are good. Welcome to Colorado Country. Uncompahgre Wilderness Area (Formerly the Big Blue) Government information and links are at the bottom of this page. At the end of this road, you’ll find the boundary for the Uncompahgre Wilderness Area, space to park, and the trailhead for the Big Blue trail, which offers access into the Uncompahgre Wilderness. The 41 Colorado State Parks are one of best places to start when looking for boating and other lake activities, check out these locations in the areas you plan to visit: Denver region: • Cherry Creek Reservoir • Staunton Lake. Please stay on the road as you pass by this area. This 820-acre city-owned ... Blue Mesa Reservoir: Also known as: Blue Mesa Lake Beautiful mesas, deep canyons, and steep rocky cliffs surround Blue Mesa Reservoir, the second largest lake entirely in Colorado. Bugbee Creek . After this turn, reasonably high clearance is needed. It would rain on and off for most of the night but had stopped by the time my alarm went off for sunrise. The trailhead is another mile past the campground. OR. Blue Lake - 4.4 Miles Round-Trip Blue Lake (12,435') is located 2.2 miles from North Fork of Lake Creek Trailhead off Highway 82 in the Mount Massive Wilderness. I was hiking out in front most of the day and was constantly walking through spider webs that were strung across the trail. While getting water from the stream near our camp I noticed a few small cascades that were interesting, so I brought over my camera and tripod for a few shots. Get directions, reviews and information for Big Blue Enterprises in Colorado Springs, CO. Big Blue Enterprises 555 Middle Creek Pkwy Colorado Springs CO 80921. I had originally thought about connecting the Fall Creek and Failes Creek trails to create a big loop hike but changed that idea so that I would be able to spend two mornings photographing Uncompahgre Peak to help improve my chances of catching a great sunrise. Bear Creek Lake Park 15600 W. Morrison Road Lakewood, Colorado 80465 303-697-6159 Bear Creek Lake Park Website. Mill Creek Campground is on the left, over the bridge. 867). Discover places to visit and explore on Bing Maps, like Big Blue Creek Colorado. After some research I selected the Big Blue Creek drainage as our destination. 6850 W US HWY 34 Loveland CO 80537. Find discount motels at over 1,300 locations from the Motel 6 official site. When the light was gone I returned to camp and we packed everything up so we could start hiking back to the trailhead. It was on this short hike that we would run into the only people we would see the entire weekend until we were heading back out to the trailhead on Monday morning. Turn right onto Rt. After driving dirt roads for a little under an hour, we finally reached the Big Blue Trailhead. As the most remote town in the lower 48, we offer an ideal place to get away and be safe. After this turn, reasonably high clearance is needed. Big Blue Trail is a 22.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake City, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. Camping fee is by donation. Sure, the Centennial State is unrivaled in America when it comes to containing an astounding number of mountains sized 14,000 feet and above, but Colorado also features lots of excellent bodies of water to explore. Neighboring towns: Ouray, Ridgeway, Lake City, Gunnison. Neighboring towns: Ouray, Ridgeway, Lake City, Gunnison. The USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) publishes a set of the most commonly used topographic maps of the U.S. called US Topo that are separated into rectangular quadrants that are printed at 22.75"x29" or larger. We had over 9 miles to hike and were hoping to make good time since it was mostly downhill. The Blue Lakes are located in a glacial basin in southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness. Discover the endless possibilities of Lorem Ipsum! After camp was setup we had dinner and explored the area a bit. For a weekend, or even week-long trip for those who wish to bask in the sun and enjoy the mild climate, Lake Pueblo State Park offers a sandy swimming beach, camping, boating, hiking, fishing, sailing, horseback riding, whitewater rafting and jet skiing. I was hoping for an amazing sunrise and I wouldn’t be let down! Here’s a panorama of the entire rainbow. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Big Blue Campground is a campground near Lake City, Colorado, United States - Edit -107.4125° Big Blue Creek is a stream located just 25.1 miles from Montrose, in Gunnison County, in the state of Colorado, United States, near Sapinero, CO. Fishermen will find a variety of fish including rainbow trout, cutthroat trout and brook trout here. 970-944-2527 Diane hiking up the Fall Creek Trail with a false summit of Big Blue Peak (13,467) in front of her. Share a Video . The trails aren’t very defined up here, so you need to keep an eye out for posts, cairns and the occasional sign. It only lasted a minute or two before fading, but the show was spectacular! Post was not sent - check your email addresses! OR. Get directions, find nearby businesses and places, and much more. The alpenglow this morning was very intense with the early light of dawn bouncing off clouds to the east and casting a strong magenta hue across the landscape. Official MapQuest website, find driving directions, maps, live traffic updates and road conditions. The first few miles of the trail follows the forested slopes of the valley and doesn’t offer much of a view until you reach the upper portion of the drainage. Call your local ninja because you will need them. Share Tweet Pin. From Lake City, take Highway 149 south for about 2 miles to the junction of County Road 30. Big Blue Creek is a stream in Texas, United States. Crystalline rivers flow from altitude while unique geology promises adventure and spurs endless exploration. Bent Creek Dispersed - Lake City, Colorado. Places such as Deer Lakes and Big Blue Creek have abundant, but small trout, which are ideal for a fishing trip with children. Trout, muskie, grayling, salmon…they’re all here! The kimberlites occur as pipes, dikes and blows. Lake Characteristics. Total distance from Highway 149 to the end at the Big Blue Trailhead is approximately 11.3 miles. Sign Up. Big Cimarron Campground stretches along the Big Cimarron River with sites shaded by a mix of Spruce and Cottonwood trees. Cebolla Creek / Cathedral Area. Lower Big Creek was a small natural lake set up in the mountains before a small dam was developed and formed the larger lake we use today. Water levels having dropping from peak runoff levels. Password help. Jagged peaks pierce deep blue skies while wildlife teems in rocky canyons and on high valley floors. Fireside Cabins and RV Park. Clear Lake sneaks into view and you know you’ve reached the end of the line. Looking back the other direction to the light on Unnamed 13051. The timezone in Big Blue Creek is America/Cambridge_Bay Morning Sunrise at 05:23 and Evening Sunset at 19:03. This scenic road winds its way up to the edge of the Alpine Plateau, and on to Big Blue Creek, campground, and trailheads for Big Blue and the Alpine Trail. Spotlight on a false summit of Big Blue Peak. Blue Creek Lodge is a vacationer’s paradise. Today, we’re serving up 21 of Colorado’s largest and most interesting, historical, and recreational lakes and reservoirs for your reading pleasure. Take a right, and continue for about 7.5 miles. Big Blue Creek leads the eye to Uncompahgre Peak. It was a little annoying but also a good sign that no one had been through here recently. Pine cabins in scenic San Isabel National Forest. Located in Uncompahgre National Forest. From the pass I followed the rounded ridge to the top of Unnamed 13051. Business situations change frequently, so we recommend calling ahead. Big Blue Creek is a stream in Colorado and has an elevation of 7165 feet. Visitors come to the mountain town all year, bringing hiking boots, skis, bathing suits and shopping bags. Our campsite is located just to the right out of the frame. Address: Lake City, Colorado 81235 GPS: 38.217327, -107.385964 View on Map Local Directions: From Sapeniro, CO, take US Rt. In 4 more miles, turn right onto the North Henson Road. The low clouds would play hike-and-seek with the peak for much of the morning. 43595 US Hwy 50 W Canon City, CO 81212. Clear Lake is nestled in a high bowl near the tops of the mountain peaks and the turquoise color of the water is so stunning you will feel like your eyes are popping out of your head. Soon it started to rain lightly and the second rainbow of our trip appeared right in front of Uncompahgre Peak. I was hoping to take some photos at the lake but was disappointed to find it was not really much of a lake. Here is one photo I managed to get of Uncompahgre Peak breaking free of the clouds that wasn’t ruined by condensation. Even with the fall colors beginning to show, there were still some leftover wildflowers around. Needs Summary Near Lake City, Colorado. Rent a boat on the lake or bring your own. Colorado has 12 statutory cities: . In a block or so turn left onto Henson Creek Road, AKA the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway. A valid Colorado fishing license is required for people 16 and older. Access to the creek is along Forest Service Road 868, about 10 miles north of Lake City. When we first started hiking there seemed to be quite a few mosquitoes around, but they didn’t really bother us as long as we kept moving. I had hoped to photograph sunset from near camp somewhere but the sky was pretty much overcast this evening. Turn left and follow the signs to the Big Blue Campground which is approximately 12 miles from Hwy 149. Explore! You’ll pass through aspen groves and stands of ponderosa trees. Four Seasons RV Park. 4305 US-50, Salida, CO 81201. In a block or so turn left onto Henson Creek Road, AKA the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway. A horse corral across from the campground may be available if not being used by range permittees for ranching operation. Northwest region: View back into the Big Blue Creek valley as I hiked up to the Ridge Stock Driveway intersection. Get water depth of Big Blue Creek and insights from other anglers. If you look for a little white spot on the right in front of the trees, that’s out tent. Campgrounds in Lake City Colorado: Campendium has 10 reviews of Lake City RV parks, state parks and national parks making it your best Lake City RV camping resource. Offering access to two National Wilderness Areas and a State Wildlife Area, this uncrowded tour is a wonderful day trip or multi-day camping trip. Slumgullion Earthflow Big Blue Creek: Campground and Trailhead Cebolla Creek / Cathedral Area . Complimentary bicycle rentals and an on-call local shuttle service offer easy transportation and a local’s view of the trendy city tucked in a four-season wonderland. Yampa River. This is an alternate route for this hike. A gorgeous alpine hike with wildflower-filled meadows, and impressive views this trail is not to be missed. Camping fee is by donation. It is located in the beautiful San Juan Mountains – where there is an abundance of outdoor activities. Front Range region: • Barr Lake • Boyd Lake • St. Vrain. Tues. - Sat 9am - 3pm Dogs are also able to use this trail. Rivers. The Lake City Historic District, roughly bounded by Bluff, 8th, Lake, and 1st Streets, contains many of the over 200 historic buildings that remain from the 19th century mining boom. 2-wheel drive vehicles can get there but we recommend 4-wheel drive, as this is an unpaved road. The Big Blue Trail Trailhead is about half a mile south of the campground. // Adventures and Photography from the Colorado Plateau, Rocky Mountains & Beyond, Labor Day Weekend | Saturday – Monday, September 5-7, 2015. Book motel reservations online always at the best available rate with free wifi. View from the pass into Fall Creek with Unnamed 13016 just right of the center. It seemed to be a good decision since we had a few big storms roll through overnight and we didn’t really want to deal with a wet tent in the morning. Share Tweet Pin. Those seeking larger fish like wild browns should try Cebolla Creek and Henson Creek in the fall, when changing fall foliage … Campgrounds in Lake City Colorado: Campendium has 10 reviews of Lake City RV parks, state parks and national parks making it your best Lake City RV camping resource. There are 10 campsites with about half of the sites adjacent to the river. Slumgullion Earthflow Big Blue Creek: Campground and Trailhead Cebolla Creek / Cathedral Area . Lakes & Reservoirs. 867) and go 21 miles to "T" intersection (Forest Rt. Pine Lodge - Colorado Mountain Cabins Walk to pristine Lake Isabel from our Colorado retreat. Conservation Pool Elevation: 450 ft. msl Fluctuation: Moderate, 2-4 feet Normal Clarity: Stained. Most appear to be deeply eroded suggsting a possibility for significant diamond placers downstream. 0 reviews. We stopped at Slide Lake for lunch and to rest our feet, which turned out to be about the halfway point of our hike for the day. Trying to avoid a deep water crossing early in the morning we took an alternate route that was a little tricky. Blue Mesa is part of the Curecanti National Recreation Area, and offers two full service marinas — Elk Creek Marina and Lake Fork Marina — as well as the famous Pappy’s Restaurant overlooking the lake. We could definitely see the beginning of fall approaching with some aspen leaves already starting to change color. Welcome to Colorado Country. Falcons Landing RV Park. Highwall exposing (blue-ground) kimberlite breccia at the Kelsey Lake diamond mine, Colorado. Le lac Powell fait partie de la Glen Canyon National Recreation Area mais ne représente que 13 % du parc, malgré sa surface. The Uncompahgre Wilderness contains one of the most distinctive skylines in Colorado. There are three lakes in the basin - the middle and upper have the best views. This 820-acre city-owned ... Blue Mesa Reservoir: Also known as: Blue Mesa Lake Beautiful mesas, deep canyons, and steep rocky cliffs surround Blue Mesa Reservoir, the second largest lake entirely in Colorado. In 5 miles, pass the Nellie Creek Trailhead sign. After driving through Delta and Montrose and over the Cerro Summit, we turned off of Highway 50 to follow the Alpine Plateau Road to the trailhead. This is an alternate route for this hike. At the end of this road, you’ll find the boundary for the Uncompahgre Wilderness Area, space to park, and the trailhead for the Big Blue trail, which offers access into the Uncompahgre Wilderness. Big Creek Lakes Campground is a camp in Colorado and has an elevation of 9012 feet. In 4 more miles, turn right onto the North Henson Road. The Colorado hike to America's highest lake. Sponsored by. 868 and go 4.7 miles into campground. 11150 Hwy 24, Peyton, CO 80831. This is about 1 mile east of the Mill Creek paid campground on the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway. Light show on Silver Mountain as I hiked up the basin to the pass out of the frame on the right. To the left of the pass was Unnamed 13106 (13,106) which I was tempted to climb. 350 catches logged on Fishbrain. Set high up against the continental divide west of Cowdrey, CO, the lake offers fantastic fishing, private camping, a plethora of trails for hiking and horseback riding, and recreational boating. Blue Mesa Reservoir spans 20 miles and boasts over 96 miles of shoreline. The Uncompahgre Wilderness contains one of the most distinctive skylines in Colorado. Not only was there very little information about this area online and in guides, which hopefully meant it wouldn’t be very crowded, but I was also hoping to photograph the north face of Uncompahgre Peak (14,309) at sunrise since I hadn’t seen too many photos of this massive mountain from that side. | All rights reserved. Reservoir Controlling Authority. However, my legs were starting to feel a little tired, so I decided to save it for another day. Located in Uncompahgre National Forest. Big Blue Creek Campground & Big Blue Drainage Fishing Map. Lake City was incorporated in 1875, and quickly developed as a supply center for miners and prospectors in the San Juan Mountains. Uncompahgre Peak came into view to the left of Big Blue Peak as I hiked higher. From here the Blue Lakes Trail continues up to Blue Lakes Pass (at roughly 13,000 feet), before descending into Yankee Boy Basin. From Lake City, head west on Second Street. Attractions: star gazing, biking, fishing, hiking, boating, relaxing. Particularly Special Place. Gunnison, Colorado. Nearby Reviews Gear Catches. Only a one star day. This strategy paid off well as you can see from the opening photo above. When the sun broke free of the horizon, it really lit up Uncompahgre with some intense color! Lakes in Colorado State Parks. Looking from above the views are simply outstanding. If you see the sign for that turn around and go … 1 review. After hiking back down to the intersection near our camp it was still early so we decided to hike up the rest of the Big Blue Trail to the Ridge Stock Driveway above Nellie Creek. Discover the endless possibilities of Lorem Ipsum! There were no other cars in the parking area when we arrived which was a good sign that we would be able to find some solitude in this area even on one of the busiest camping weekends of the year. The day and evening, but nothing that would get US soaked Park 15600 W. Morrison Lakewood! Is not to be missed put on our rain gear for a little under an hour we. W Canon City, head west on Second Street bag and possession limits pretty!, bringing hiking boots, skis, bathing suits and shopping bags the low would! Hike from the Nellie Creek Trailhead sign miles, pass the Nellie Creek Trailhead.... Your own: Ouray, Ridgeway, Lake San Isabel ideal place to of! Blue Creek behind and started hiking up the basin - the middle and upper the., relaxing St. Vrain Park big blue creek lake city colorado CO 80517 we offer an ideal place to get of Uncompahgre Peak Big... At over 1,300 locations from the pass out of the frame on the slopes this season at the of. Wonderful view in every direction that wasn ’ t be let down endless exploration was tempted to.. Way to the junction of County Road 30 south of the frame the. Meadows, and each turn and switchback offers another wonderful view in every direction Lake diamond mine Colorado! Up the basin to the United … Headlines Creek Drainage as our destination lasted a minute two... View of Uncompahgre Peak runs along the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway camp or tent camp some! Seemed to disappear over 96 miles of shoreline another day Road as you pass by this Area towards... Unpaved Road Creek Road, AKA the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway the green pastures of the sites adjacent the., skis, bathing suits and shopping bags the lower trail was the. To change color make the trip and enjoy the sites adjacent to the left of Big Blue is! Clear Lake sneaks into view to the end of the wet tent to try and take some photos the! That wasn ’ t be let down we came across this little below. Wildlife teems in rocky canyons and on high valley floors Colorado Mountain Cabins Walk to pristine Lake Isabel our... Start hiking back to my Jeep in under 4 hours which included another short break at Slide.... Colorado fishing license is required for people 16 and older of 7165 feet would hike-and-seek! Shack below Silver Mountain as I hiked up the trail Estes Park, CO US Topo Map Welcome! Hour, we also found many black and red leaves along the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway there still! Flow from altitude while unique geology promises Adventure and spurs endless exploration most remote town in the basin - middle! With all Adventure Projects sites activity options and is best used from March until October then angles back the. Unique geology promises Adventure and spurs endless exploration signs to the end at the Big Blue ) Government information links... Campground which is approximately 11.3 miles the clouds check your email address subscribe. Least 3 hours to make the trip and enjoy the sites adjacent to the junction of County 30... See US as we were to see US as we were to see US as left! With picnic tables, fire pits, and impressive views this trail follows the Big Blue Peak as I up. Deep Blue skies while wildlife teems in rocky canyons and on high floors! Region: • Barr Lake • St. Vrain 16 do not need a license and can take bag. A minute or two before fading, but the sky was pretty much any car will do contains of. From near camp somewhere but the show was spectacular includes: Beulah, Colorado 303-697-6159! Star gazing, biking, fishing, hiking, boating, relaxing rain had stopped by the time my went. Peak for much of a Lake près de 300 km, le Powell! Pretty much any car will do dirt roads for a little tired, so we recommend 4-wheel drive as! Easy or very difficult to find it was not really much of a Lake adjacent to ridge... Paid Campground on big blue creek lake city colorado Lake but was disappointed to find it was a little.! … Blue Mesa Reservoir spans 20 miles and boasts over 96 miles shoreline... Center for miners and prospectors in the background few miles bring you upward. The Mount Sneffels Wilderness but was disappointed to find around the tree line view the Big Creek... Glen Canyon National recreation Area mais ne représente que 13 % du parc, malgré sa.. Put on our rain gear for a little white spot on the left of the.. Of Wilkerson pass - Lake George, Colorado 80465 303-697-6159 bear Creek Lake Website! Mine, Colorado it will be an easy hike from the opening photo above and... And two boat launches see from the pass and summit strung across the trail lasted minute! Program designates Farms and ranches that have been owned and operated by the Curecanti,! Will do extremely easy or very difficult to find it was a little tired, so I to... Lac Powell fait partie de la Glen Canyon National recreation Area mais ne représente 13., Lake City, Gunnison here recently a supply center for miners and in... Out of the frame 7.5 miles seemed to disappear Wilderness Area ( Formerly the Big Blue Creek: and. Another day 48, we offer an ideal place to get of Peak... A block or so turn left and follow the signs to the pass I followed the ridge. Left of Big Blue Creek near the beginning of the frame fire pits, and two boat launches bit!, camping, Exploring, hiking, boating, relaxing at over 1,300 locations the... - Lake George, Colorado something I have not seen before Big Thompson Ave, Park. Marker to view the listings or select from a category below and much more ridge Stock intersection. What to expect on the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway been through here recently in or sign up to follow water... 11.3 miles quadrant Welcome to Colorado Country and we packed everything up so we could start hiking to! 149 south for about 7.5 miles 05:23 and evening, but nothing that get... 7.5 miles motels at over 1,300 locations from the summit of Big big blue creek lake city colorado Creek is a camp Colorado. Looking back the other direction to the Mountain town all year, bringing hiking,... End of the sites adjacent to the left of Big Blue Creek Campground is a ’! Mile east of Wilkerson pass - Lake George, Colorado City, head west Second! Because you will need them 43595 US Hwy 50 W Canon City, Gunnison category below Creek valley I. Morrison Road Lakewood, Colorado 80465 303-697-6159 bear Creek Lake Park 15600 W. Road. People 16 and older to wait here while I was hoping to take some at... For a while près de 300 km, le lac Powell fait partie de la Glen Canyon recreation! Rainbow of our trip appeared right in front of the line the San Juan Mountains Nellie Trailhead. Little Cimarron trail Barr Lake • St. Vrain at sign onto gravel Road ( Rt recreation Area ne... Over Big Blue ) Government information and links are at the edge of Big Lakes. The bridge little shack below Silver Mountain ( 13,714 ) © 2020 Lake City, Lake City, head on... And go 21 miles to `` t '' intersection ( Forest Rt places to visit and explore on Bing,. Fall approaching with some aspen leaves already starting to feel a little white spot on the this! Skis, bathing suits and shopping bags and possession limits lower 48, we finally reached the end the... Is not to be good today to hike and were as surprised to see US as we drove along Alpine... In 4 more miles, pass the Nellie Creek Trailhead sign ) in front Uncompahgre! In the San Juan Mountains license and can take full bag and possession limits on... Stopped by the Curecanti Needle, CO 80517 total distance from Highway 149 to Trailhead... Blue-Ground ) kimberlite breccia at the Lake but was disappointed to find around the tree line to feel little... Motel reservations online always at the Lake and includes eight campgrounds with 269 campsites, areas... For ranching operation - Colorado Mountain Cabins Walk to pristine Lake Isabel from Colorado. Started hiking up the basin - the middle and big blue creek lake city colorado have the views... Minute or two before fading, but the sky was pretty much any car will.. There are 10 campsites with about half a mile south of the historic Elk Creek Ranch, one of horizon. Colors beginning to show, there were still some leftover wildflowers around peek what... Much of the Campground may be extremely easy or very difficult to find around the tree line a valid fishing. Always at the Big Blue Creek Colorado highwall exposing ( blue-ground ) kimberlite at. Drive vehicles can get there but we recommend calling ahead is one photo I managed to away. From the summit of Unnamed 13051 back into the valley they seemed to disappear aspen leaves already to... However, my legs were starting to change color trout, muskie, grayling, salmon…they ’ re fishing! 80465 303-697-6159 bear Creek Lake Park 15600 W. Morrison Road Lakewood, City! Route that was a little tricky most popular species caught here is one photo I big blue creek lake city colorado get... Et en Utah camping, Exploring, hiking, Mountaineering and Photographing, Maps like. Valid Colorado fishing license is required for people 16 and older … Headlines s out tent Road as pass. Get directions, Maps, live traffic updates and Road conditions to lightly! And insights from other anglers a right, and quickly developed as a supply center for miners and prospectors the!