.270 WSM Slow Motion Recoil - Duration: 0:22. 7mm Rem. Free Shipping Offer only applies to specially marked items. Long Range doesn't have to be from a rest or bench! Please click HERE to learn more about Qualified Professional discounts. Living in Wyoming? Q: Your 7 WSM has logged 10-shot groups at 1000 yards that could win many 1K benchrest matches. 30 Caliber.308” Diameter. Bang--poof, bang--poof. I have total faith in Chris's gunsmithing abilities. bullet was and is the best choice for elk and moose. Bayonets. This rifle is by far one of the most fun rifles I have ever had. Q: Tell us how you got interested in the 7 WSM and how you got started on this project? Re: 7mm short mag recoil vs. 30-06 Two other things to keep in mind: - The heavier the rifle the less felt recoil you will encounter. Not for use with magnum cartridges with barrel lengths shorter than 22 inches. Now that's consistency. This time I put the ten SMKs in about 5 inches. 300 Sav. Be careful about sizing up 270 WSM's to make 7mm WSM brass as the 7mm's headspace is longer. To decide which is the best overall 7mm magnum, I tested the 7mm Remington Magnum, 7mm Winchester Short Magnum, 7mm Shooting Times Westerner, 7mm Weatherby Magnum, 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum, and 28 Nosler for trajectory, drift, effective range, and recoil with free, online ballistic software from shooterscalculator.com. 280 AI Handy for Handloading Handloaders love the 280 AI for the same reason they love most Ackley Improved cartridges: the slight increase in speed plus the decreased need to trim-to-length when reloading. Mag Managed Recoil 140 Grain Core-Lokt Po. * … In the table below rifle weight is given in pounds, free recoil energy is given in foot pounds, and free recoil velocity is given in feet-per-second. Mag. Want to chase the velocity dragon once in a while? Both these rifles I call point and shoot rifles--point them on target and they'll shoot it. The Challenge: Creating the Ultimate Long-Range Hunting Rifle. I have the ability to shoot as far as 3500 yards out my back door if I choose. Remember this is from the prone position and off a bipod--same load, two different rifles--and it produced a single, sub-MOA group. Time to make another exclusive custom target with the magic marker. One reason may be that with the reduced case capacity I am not sure a 175gr can be loaded, as it can in the std 7MM Mag. I would seriously consider the 7mm WSM. The ranch was the original halfway stopping point between Cody, WY and Yellowstone Park. This 7 WSM is the sixth rifle he's built for me--and they've all been tack-drivers. A short action 27” barreled 7mm WSM is approximately the same length as a 26” barreled 7mm Remington Magnum. Inhale...release...inhale half out... bang! If you are a disciplined shooter and have correct shooting techniques you can do amazing things from any shooting position. Back at the nest now. On paper the 7 WSM with the 162 A-Max or 175 SMK really out-performs both the 300 WM and the 300 WSM, two of my favorite calibers. Most of my other rifles are .30 cal so that was the main reason I went with the 300WSM, if that weren't the case I think I would look at a 7mm WSM. We joke that we have just two seasons, three months of summer and nine months of winter. On a lot of animals it doesn’t matter, but on larger game it makes a difference, and I’ve seen it in the field. By contrast, choosing components for a 6.5-284 is pretty straight-forward. Typically there is a sweet spot within half a grain up or down from that starting point. What is great about my location is that I can shoot just about anytime I want. Hunters however did not like the recoil and loaded the lighter 145 grs or 160grs. If I ever get a 270 it will be a WSM. The lighter recoil and more compact rifle would be a big help in her shooting well with confidence. The 300 WSM will also have about 10% less recoil in rifles of equal weight, or about the same recoil in rifles roughly 1/2 lb lighter. Another key component is consistency. Limbsaver Recoil Pad Remington 700 And Remington 700 7mm Wsm Best Prices 2018 Ads, Deals and Sales. Hmmm, I'm thinkin'--those Williamsport guys shoot 10. 270 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) Load Data; 270 Weatherby Magnum Load Data; 7mm Mauser (7×57) Load Data; 7mm-08 Remington Load Data; 284 Winchester Load Data; ... 7mm WSM. The bolt … Say what you will about luck, good fortune, divine intervention, it takes one heck of an accurate rifle to deliver these kind of results--off a bipod no less. If you use quality components, I've found that you don't need to weigh this weigh that etc. Any one of them will do 90% of what any other of them will do. There is nothing super-exotic in this rifle, but it IS fitted out with some of the best components on the market. Being that it is the first and last thing to determine a bullet's destiny, I chose to use a pair of Broughtons. 7mm Components: Brass &Bullets Changing to the 7mm WSM required some careful research into components. I do a quick read of the conditions. Q: How does your 7 WSM perform in terms of recoil and accuracy? I start with the Sierra Load Manual, select the bullet weight, then find the max load for a recommended accurate powder. He told me the velocities clocked within 4 fps of each other! 7mm Rem Ultra Mag. The rest of the time I shoot from a bipod. per page . Federal 7WSME Power-Shok 7mm Winchester Short Mag Soft Point 150 GR - 20rd Box Your Price: $41.11 ($2.056 per round) In stock Purchase Now » View Details » OK, here we go again. Ridin', Ropin' and Shootin' -- the Real Western Lifestyle In the real world, firearms chambered for less powerful cartridges are typically built lighter than firearms chambered for more powerful cartridges. Re: 7mm mag vs 7mm wsm ?? This "style" seems to fit my type of hunting here in Wyoming--tough, rugged terrain where you need to be able to make the long shot should one present itself. That's plausible. I do use the VLD case mouth deburrer. I'm tuning up a 7mm wsm mostly for the cool factor and my ego. Mag., 150-grain bullet, 3,248 fps: 29.16 f-p recoil energy, 16.37 fps recoil velocity. Recoil of the 300 WSM should be pretty much the same as the 300 Win Mag. By adding this item to your Wish List, It was offi- cially … Or maybe all my Zodiak stars were in alignment this morning. Rugged Hunting Rig with Long-Range Benchrest Accuracy. I shot a sub-moa group of 12 shots one day with the Twins. at the muzzle. Since this is a repeater we added a Wyatts Mag Box. I use Winchester-brand brass and Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers. Same weight bullet, same velocity = same recoil. The wind is just about the same, but I re-adjust the elevations for the heavier bullet. my perceived recoil has been greater with the 30-06 than the 7mm mag in similar grain bullets. I tried that for years and it never really showed results to justify the time and effort. Gun Accessories, Ammunition, Gun Safes, Handguns, Left Hand Guns, Youth Guns, Reserves, Rifles, Shotguns, Scopes / Optics, Gun Closeouts, Factory Certified Guns, Used Guns, MAP, Bud's Mobile, A A & E Leathercraft, ADCO International, Advanced Technology, Aearo Company, Aimshot, Aimtech Mount Systems, Alexander Arms, Allen Company, Aluma Sport, Beretta, Browning, CZ USA, Leupold, Remington, Ruger, Savage Arms, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Taurus Handguns, The American Outdoorsman, ULTRADOT DISTRIBUTION, The 7mm WSM d… Really, at the time, the choice of the 7 WSM was easy--no one else was really doing it, and if they were, they weren't talking about it. I shot six shots from each rifle, alternating rifles between shots. It is drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Mag Managed Recoil 140 Grain Core-Lokt Po, Hornady Interbond 7mm Remington Magnum Interbond 154 GR 3100, Winchester Ammo Super X 7mm Remington Magnum Power Max Bonde, Federal P7RD Vital-Shok Sierra GameKing BTSP 20RD 150gr 7mm Rem, Federal P7RE Vital-Shok Sierra GameKing BTSP 20RD 165gr 7mm Rem, Hornady 7MM Remington Mag 154 Grain Spire Point, Federal P7RH Vital-Shok Nosler Ballistic Tip 20RD 150gr 7mm Rem, Hornady 7MM Remington Mag 162 Grain Boat Tail Soft Point, Hornady 80596 Custom Lite SST 7mm Remington Magnum SST 139 G, Hornady Super Shock Tip 7mm Remington Magnum SST 139 GR 3240, Federal P7WSMB Vital-Shok Nosler Ballistic Tip 20RD 140gr 7mm W, Winchester 7MM Remington Mag 150 Grain Supreme Ballistic Sil, Winchester 7MM Remington Mag 160 Grain Supreme AccuBond Comb, HSM 7MMMAG22N Game King 7mm Rem Mag 150 GR SBT 20 Bx/ 20 Cs, Remington 7MM Remington Mag 140 Grain Premier AccuTip, Remington 7 MM Remington Mag 150 Grain Premier AccuTip, Federal PR7TT1 Vital-Shok Trophy Bonded Tip 20RD 160gr 7mm Rem. Most complete 7mm precision shooting page. Next, I'll uniform the primer pockets, and debur and bevel the flash hole on both sides. So we wanted to be the first make it work, one way or another. Mt 300 likes nothing but 180 grain pills and the 7mm will shoot lights out with 150 and especially 160 grain Nosler soild base bullets. Cartridge Type: Rifle Height: 2.1" Width: 0.535" Average FPS: 3134 Average Energy: 3314 Average Gr: 152 Recoil: 2.06 Power Rank: 4.76 of 20 The 7mm Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) was designed in 2001 by Winchester Repeating Arms Company and Browning Arms Company. 7mm WSM shooter Jeff Van Niel tells us: “I will say this about the 7mm SAUM versus the straight 7mm WSM. The recoil is more of pushing then a kick from like a 30-06 or a 7mm remington mag. The .270 WSM will drop anything a 130 or 150 gr bullet will drop…w/o the 7MM recoil. This suppressor is strength-rated for 6.5-284, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm WSM, .300 Win Mag. Mag. But most of those shooters really have a hard time in wind. There were actually no real surprises or problems along the way, other than it was the first time I was shooting a 7mm and the accuracy of the 175gr bullets was better than I expected. All my loads seem to work best between 2600 to 2750 fps. My reloading technique is pretty basic. I would compare the WSM to the WM the same way that I compare the .308 to the 30-06. I never shot a 1K group with Steve's gun, but at other distances, including 500 yards, it has performed identically to mine. Info for 7mm cartridge gun shooters. Nothing wrong with the 7 mag of 7 RUM though either. Inhale...release...inhale...half out--bang! It has a rebated rim, bottleneck casing with a 1:9.5 twist on a large rifle magnum primer. It is the very heart and soul of a rifle. I then go to the 300- and 500-yard steel plates to see if the load holds its accuracy. Even I can have a real good day now and again. In Wyoming, the key thing in choosing a caliber is the availability of good high-BC bullets--the wind will own you out here. Have you ever considered the 270 WSM? I thought this was for your wife for some reason. are unique because of their short, belted cases (and easy to tell apart because one has a skinny bullet and one a fat bullet), the new WSM and SAUM short magnums all look very similar to each other. Same load, same point of aim, and same point of impact. I think you get more consitency with the primer flash this way. Has it met your expectations? I often go up there for long-range "plinking" at the sandstone rocks. 300 Blk. 7mm rem mag for an easy to load for and find factory loads too. Increase the gun weight by, say, 25% and the recoil goes down by 25%. Then follow through, watch for the impact, and chamber the next round. I am a huge fan of the 300 WSM and will always be, but this 7mm is really starting to change my mind. I’d opt for the .270 in a … Reality is my 7-08 would do the job all day. available for immediate purchase and pick-up. Berger F-Open Hybrid Target Rifle Bullets 7mm .284" 184 gr HT 500/ct …our existing 7mm 180gr Hybrid and VLD Target bullet designs. Well, if you choose to live in the "out of town" places you need to be well-prepared and tough. I basically do Froggy's technique when shooting from a bipod. ... 7mm WSM (140 at 3200) 8.0: 20.7: 12.9: 7mm WSM (160 at 3000) 8.0: 21.9: 13.3: 7mm Rem. I get my natural point of aim, then push forward a bit to pre-load the bipod legs. The 243 Winchester and 7mm-08 Remington are often recommended as low recoil “starter” big game rifles for children, women, and anyone who is small-framed or recoil sensitive. We wanted to showcase a rifle that wasn't typical for the TV program which was about Antelope and Mule Deer hunting in Wyoming. Even though Ric had great success in the past with a 300 WSM that I had built, the 7mm WSM was the caliber of choice for the Twins. So I better try 5 more. The photo below does a great job of showing the differences in external … The 7mm-08 was derived from necking down the neck of the .308 Win and allowed it to accept the smaller diameter 7mm bullet. Mag. Here's a shot of my playground. The 7mm Winchester Short Magnum (also known as the 7mm WSM) is a centrefire cartridge developed in partnership with Browning Arms Company and Winchester ammunition, making its debut and introduced to the shooting public in 2001. Our goals were simple--we wanted a tack-driver with long-range capabilities, from 400 to 1000 yards. Message to Readers: If you are considering a 7mm WSM (or 7mm-300 WSM) you should seriously look at the 7mm Rem SAUM as well. The 7mm 184gr F-Open bullet is ideal for loading into 7-08 Rem, 284 Win, 7mm SAUM, 7mm RUM, 7mm Rem Mag and other popular 7mm… My requirements for my rifles are, I guess, unique. Note, I am not necessarily turning for a specific diameter because I have enough clearance to start with. We do not take preorders or back-order items. Sometimes the neck turner might only shave a bit off one side. My model 70 270wsm has a fair amount but as you learn to understand the 270 wsm load it is a very powerful load with a nosler 130 balistic tip. The 7MM WSM is the least popular of the .270,7MM, 300 WSMs. First, when I get a bag of brass, I'll check to make sure all the flash holes are centered, and I'll pitch the ones that aren't. And the accuracy--well that is the real kicker, since accuracy is really where it's at. Bolt Parts. Winchester ~ 70 ~ 7mm WSM Description: This Winchester Model 70 is a right hand bolt action rifle in 7mm WSM Cal. A 243 Winchester versus 7mm-08 Remington match-up will cause some readers to raise the "apples to oranges" red flag, but that doesn't mean this comparison is out-of-bounds. This rifle is by far one of the most fun rifles I have ever had. In 2005 the .325 WSM came along. Anyway, here's the story of the 7 WSM that shot half-MOA at 1000 yards off a bipod. Q: What were your objectives with this project rifle? 7mm Rem Mag. With a 180-grain VLD (very low drag) bullet pushed at 3,000 feet per second (fps), the numbers were convincing. But I also agree with the statement about a bigger bullet selection for the 284. OK, close enough to my tables. Despite the weather, Wyoming is a great place for a hunter. Plus the weather is hard in the winter and always windy. This consistency is what brings us to the final chapter in the saga of the Twins. etc. In fact I was re-testing the 162gr A-Max and 175 gr SMK loads the day I shot the screamers at 1013 yards. The individual parts may vary a little; but a lightweight hunting rifle gets the same attention, down to every last detail, that a 1000-yard benchrest rifle gets. I use the RCBS powered Trim Mate™ station to do most of the brass prep. 150gr SP 20/Bx, Federal 7RB Power-Shok Soft Point 20RD 175gr 7mm Rem Magnum, Federal F7RFS1 Fusion 20RD 150gr 7mm Rem Magnum, Hornady American Whitetail 7MM Rem 154 Gr Soft Point 20/bx, Federal F7RFS2 Fusion 20RD 175gr 7mm Rem Magnum, Remington 7MM Remington Mag 175 Grain Core-Lokt Pointed Soft, HORN 80591 AMER WHTL 7MM Remingon Magnum 139GR SP 20Box/10Ca, Winchester Ammo X7DS Deer Season XP 7mm Remington Magnum 140 GR, Federal 7RA Power-Shok Soft Point 20RD 150gr 7mm Rem Magnum, Remington 7MM Rem. Q: How does the 7 WSM stack up in your mind? The 7mm Rem Mag has enough power, using 140 grain bullets it will drop deer at 500 yards. This places a “Reserve Order” for an out of stock item. i did have a limbsaver on the 7mm though. On paper the 7 WSM with the 162 A-Max or 175 SMK really out-performs both the 300 WM and the 300 WSM, two of my favorite calibers. Q: To achieve the results you're getting you must have exceptional hand-loads. The Scope is a 4-16 Nikon Tactical, which, so far, has proven to be excellent. The .308 seems to jump at you while the '06 seems to push harder. that is why I went with the lighter 270 in 130. This rifle shoots sub-2" groups at 500 yards all day every day (often closer to 1"). Chris trued the action, added an SSG over-sized bolt knob, and fitted the action with a Broughton 5C, 9-twist #7 contour barrel finished at 24". 300 WSM vs 300 Win Mag. The recoil is very minimal with either of the loads and the rifle just plain flat-out shoots. It may be on display and is On the trip back I got lots of bugs in my teeth cause I'm smiling so wide. This is truly an excellent big game cartridge for North American hunting. I found that it does not kick to bad.. 308 Mar Exp. I wanted to keep in tune for a mule deer hunt I'm planning. Were I to go bigger I think I would go with a 7mm Dakota, although brass is not cheap. At the time of its arrival, the popularity of 7mm bullets was growing exponentially because of its ballistic performance and the lighter recoil compared to other larger hunting cartridges. I think when people try a fast 7mm with the new high-BC bullets, they will be impressed. After shot 10, I jump on the wheely buggie and putt-putt-putt to the target I go. For the 7mm WSM which is based on the .300 WSM case necked down to handle .284″ bullets, Winchester claims a muzzle velocity (MV) of 3,225 ft/s with a 140 grain bullet for their 7mm WSM cartridge; the claimed muzzle energy (ME) is 3,233 ft. lbs. Slide Parts. To beat a … Following the initial success of the .300 WSM, the .270 WSM, 7mm WSM and 7mm SAUM were introduced. I get to the target board, take one look and say, GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!! What's so unbelievable about that? I've noted that the new brass usually shoots just as well as fire-formed cases. These benchrest-quality barrels were then fitted to trued Remington actions modified to handle the 7 WSM cartridge, bedded into McMillan stocks and topped off with Badger Ordnance hardware. Finally I'll debur/champfer the inside and outside of the neck using a VLD chamferer. in fairness, the -06's were all rem 700 rifles and 7mm a T3. The 7 WSM offers a flatter trajectory and the high-BC bullets carry energy out to long range really well. long-range, rifle shooting, rifle accuracy, WSSM, .284, RUM, deer hunting, Remington, Ackley Improved, Hodgdon, H4831, 4831sc, Varget, IMR 4064, McMillan stocks, Remington, actions, Krieger barrel, muzzle brake, Polaris 4x4, reloading, powder selection, Winchester Brass, Lapua Brass, Hornady bullets, Sierra bullets, moly coating, Cheek Piece, Harris bipod. berger in a 24-26 barrels. Set out the bean bag and get comfortable. I'm staring at about a 5" group with less than 2" of vertical (That's .2 MOA of vertical). I like Hodgdon powders, so I start with an "H" powder with an appropriate burn rate, drop the "max" load about 0.5 grains and start there. I thought there wasn't anything that could beat the 300 WSM for 800-yard accuracy. Copyright © 2003 - 2020 BudsGunShop.com. I haven't done much work with the 175s I have loaded up. (CW1), View all items by any one manufacturer by searching or selecting it from the dropdown. With the brake fitted, the 7mm WSM has less perceived recoil than the unbraked 6.5-284. Grip Parts. But now I think the 7 WSM shooting the 160- to 180-grain high-BC bullets could be unstoppable--time will tell. I take an estimate of the wind. Now that Norma 300 SAUM brass is available it’s a whole new ballgame. On average you’ll need a heavier 7mm bullet which will produce more recoil IN AN ULTRALIGHT rifle like the one I’m putting together for this project. Velocities for this barrel length are on average, 80fps faster than the standard 7mmWSM and the reduction in recoil can aid accuracy immensely. I estimate that fifteen foot pounds of free recoil energy and 10 fps of recoil velocity represent the approximate upper limit of the comfort level. Increase in recoil is present but acceptable; the .270 WSM is still a mild, easy to shoot cartridge—but it hits noticeably harder. You can keep doing it until you wound and lose one, then you will be saying " I should have got the 7mm mag." The recoil is very minimal with either of the loads and the rifle just plain flat-out shoots. My current load is 64.0 grains of H4831sc for the Hornady 162s (2950 fps) and 61.0 grains of H4831sc for the Sierra 175s (2830 fps). But the other are definitly gonna have more recoil.. You have listed a 27 Caliber (270 WSM) a 28 Caliber (7mm WSM) 2 30 Caliber and 1 32 Caliber cartride in your mix. I usually seat my bullets to touch the lands or seat just in a bit. I do take time to uniform the brass. Then I range the target--it's 1013 yards. When load-testing, I try to get 100-yard groups to be half an inch or less (quarter-MOA is pretty good for me, but not something I can count on regularly.) With a 160 grain bullet the Winchester figures are 2990 ft/s and 3176 ft. lbs. Mag., 150-grain bullet, 3,248 fps: 29.16 f-p recoil energy, 16.37 fps recoil velocity. Brass bullet primer powder 7mm data for .284 winchester, 284 win, 7mm S.A. Ultra Mag, 7 SAUM and 7 WSM. So I set up my portable target stand, drew one of my "high-tech" specialty custom targets (a big "X") with the magic marker, and go back to the little nest area. He had fired a 12-shot group that was about 1/2 MOA. Ric would shoot one shot, lay the rifle down, pick up the other and fire a shot out of it until six had been fired out of each gun, completing the group. Yep, that felt pretty good. For what you're describing, any of the .30-06, .308, 7mm mag or .270 along with their ballistic twins like the .270 WSM would be fine. I think it does everything my 300 WSM does with less recoil. The order was simple--identical rifles that were tough enough to handle anything but be capable of handling long-range situations. I uniform the primer pocket and chamfer as well. The gun features Badger bottom metal, Badger scope rail and Badger Rings. The recoil of some hard hitting cartridges. Do you have any special methods to evaluate/tune your loads? .30 cal Magnums OK not to exceed 82 grains … The big 30s are accurate but I think the 7mm, being the middle road, may really may combine the best of both worlds--the accuracy of the 6.5-284 with the wind-bucking ability of the big 30s. Having no belt is a bonus as well. 7 WSM. 30 TC. Prior to getting this rifle, my favorite calibers were the .308 Win and 300 WSM. Then I'll measure the shortest case and trim all to that length (after ensuring that fits my chamber). I quit doing all the weighing ( except for bullets ) and I shoot just as well. I full-length size and trim all to length. The 7 WSM offers a flatter trajectory and the high-BC bullets carry energy out to long range really well. Both rifles shoot exactly the same--same accuracy, same velocity, same trajectories. The only sizing dies I have used are the Basic Redding FL dies--I have since started using the Forester Ultra-Seater and used it when I shot the outstanding groups. Are you a Qualified Professional? If you want to keep the rig light and have minimal recoil, either put the brake on the 7 WSM or look at something else (7-08 or 280 as suggested) Do not forget that rifle weight is a crucial factor in the recoil equation, inversely proportional to recoil. If it does, then the load is good to go. Sort By: 13 Item(s) Show. You can use our Live Chat if you have any questions about the item you just added to your shopping cart. OUT OF STOCK (0) NOS AMMO 7MMREM 150GR BT. 7mm Wby Mag. While the .350 Rem. I then fire-form those prepped cases. Gas System Parts. I did this 5 times and the dust clouds seemed real close together. The recoil energy and recoil velocity figures are taken from various sources including the recoil nomograph in the Handloader's Digest 8th Edition, various online recoil calculators, the Remington Shoot program or calculated from the formula given in the Lyman Reloading Handbook, 43rd Edition. Mag. But the driving force behind the shortmags could just as likely have been a mandate from marketing to dream up another neato magnum offering so they could sell more guns and ammo. Recoil Hardware. I like tactical-style rifles. This item NOT eligible for our “UNDER THE TREE GUARANTEE”. Well Holy Moses. My 7mm STW is launching the 168's at 3340 out of a 28" barrel. All the metal is Teflon-coated in Mil-Spec OD Green. The 7mm is a Coyote stainless and is my go to big game gun. 7mm WSM Ammo For Sale. What kind of components does it take to deliver this kind of accuracy? In real life, Ric Horst runs D & R Outfitting (hunting guides) and the DNR Guest Ranch near Cody, Wyoming. My buddy was attempting to shoot a box of 20 in preparation for hunting season. 10:30 a.m., up the mountain I go to my 1000-yard spot. I expressed to Ric that the most important component is the barrel. The stock is a smooth hardwood laminate pistol grip and forearm. rifles. What makes it such a great hunting ground? I do this light turn just for consistency. The .270 on the other hand will have much faster/sharper recoil that may hurt your shoulder, especially if you are of slight build. (This McMillan stock design replicates the original M40A1 Marine Sniper Rifle stock.) The 175 grs. 308 Win. I use the handy Angle-Cosine Indicator (ACI) from SniperTools.com for up or down shot-angle correction. Then, for fun, I started whacking away at rocks at ranges between 945 and 1026 yards. When I shot a WSM, I was impressed with the mild recoil but received a rude awakening when sourcing brass. Uncle Mike's Michaels of Orego, US FIREARMS, USA MAGAZINES, VANGUARD USA, Copyright © 2003-2020 Budsgunshop.com. Do this five times, then I hop on the 4-wheeler and off to the target I go. Were I to chose one of these it would be the 270 WSM. Forend and Handguards. Lay out the drag-bag shooting mat and open the bi-pod. Does it really have an advantage over a 300 WM or 300 WSM? Above that recoil becomes increasingly intrusive. It will still have plenty of energy for mule deer and is … 7mm rifles from Remington and Browning. It's pretty close to the 280 Ackley and since you're a reloader, obtaining ammo won't be … The recoil energy and recoil velocity figures are taken from various sources including the recoil nomograph in the Handloader's Digest 8th Edition, various online recoil calculators, the Remington Shoot program or calculated from the formula given in the Lyman Reloading Handbook, 43rd Edition. You don't just run to the convenience store if you need something. Many people, including Buffalo Bill Cody himself, stayed here on their way west! 7 mm Magnums OK not to exceed 72 grains powder. ... 7mm WSM Ammunition (13 Products) Filter By . By beveling the flash side it basically takes the flash and tapers/funnels it to the hole. Vince’s 7mm WSM Record-Breaker The UK's Most Accurate 1000-yard Gun -- Bottomley's 7mm WSM. I look at all this with considerable interest, having just inherited some rifles, including an R700 7mm Remington Magnum.